PDA

View Full Version : Strikes in Israel: Idiots to end all idiots

I am David
06-15-2004, 09:37 AM
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1087276380159

The Israeli Lifegaurds are on strike, protesting a decision by the Interior Minister to reduce the number of lifeguards in each station from three to two. Needless to say, people have drowned and died because there were no lifegaurds to save them. Even after someone drowned a few days ago, the strike continued to result in even more innocent deaths.

Yet, the strikers continue their stubborn arrogance and selfish irresponsibility.

Three people in their 20s drowned in Ashkelon's Delilah Beach, where there were no lifeguards due to the lifeguards' strike.

"We are not responsible for what happened today," Afya said, adding that the Minister Poraz's decision was a mistake. "I'm asking the minister to hold talks immediately with people who understand what being a lifeguard entails."

Can some Israeli explain to me the Israeli mentallity of being a spoiled brat and striking when the government doesnt do exactly what you want, even though it hurts the Israeli economy struggling to recover and kill people?

* NOTE: Please dont take this as anti-Israeli, one of my biggest beafs with Israel is the constant and unproductive strikes, and I'm sure many Israelis think the same.

I am David
06-15-2004, 09:52 AM

Oh Jerusalem
06-15-2004, 10:31 AM
I wouldn't be so fast to blame the LGs. I'm sure they're on the bottom of the budget totem pole.

Frankly, you have to be an idiot to go in the Mediteranean waters on Israel's coast without an LG watching the coast. It's suicidal. Always has been.

They announced on the news that the police are going to start fining swimmers on an unprotected beach.

I am David
06-15-2004, 10:49 AM
How come the Israeli beaches are so dangerous? I thought it was odd that so many drowned in just a few days.

As far as blaming the LGs, my argument is that a few days ago, someone already died because there was no lifegaurds. And now, 3 more, so their deaths are a large part their responsibility. Even if swimmers are stupid for doing it, and even if the LGs dont get paid much, they have innocent lives in their hands.

Oh Jerusalem
06-15-2004, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by I am David
How come the Israeli beaches are so dangerous?
Terrible undertows. There's something worse than an undertow. I forgot what it's called. I believe we have those, too.

I thought it was odd that so many drowned in just a few days.
It's happened before - with life guards not on strike.

As far as blaming the LGs, my argument is that a few days ago, someone already died because there was no lifegaurds. And now, 3 more, so their deaths are a large part their responsibility.
No. This is swimming at your own risk.

Even if swimmers are stupid for doing it, and even if the LGs dont get paid much, they have innocent lives in their hands.
No. You gamble with your own life. You pay the price.

And, generally, I'm no fan of most Israeli strikes.

Mediocrates
06-15-2004, 11:39 AM
A riptide - a tidal current parallel to the shore

or a littoral current - plunging breakers down and away from flat sand

are pretty bad too.

Mediocrates
06-15-2004, 11:40 AM
Most beach deaths that are not shark attacks (w/in 30' of shore)are either tidal drownings or alcohol related.

I am David
06-15-2004, 11:54 AM
No. This is swimming at your own risk. No. You gamble with your own life. You pay the price.

I was alluding to the fact that a life gaurd present would likely have saved their lives, not that some swimmers may have made a stupid price and payed the price.

Oh Jerusalem
06-15-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by I am David
I was alluding to the fact that a life gaurd present would likely have saved their lives, not that some swimmers may have made a stupid price and payed the price.
Well, it's obvious that had life guards been there, people may have been saved.

Lifeguards are not doctors. For the most part, people don't choose to get seriously ill or injured, requiring doctor's professional services. That's why there's something really terrible and irresponsible when medical professionals strike.

Swimming, on the other hand, is not forced upon anyone that I know. Ligeguards striking? Do something about it. Don't endanger yourself.

Now, it's true that people are stupid and by having lifeguards on hand, some of these stupid people get saved. (Please! No gene-pool jokes!). But the lifeguards have been through decades of cutbacks here and these cutbacks themselves have to be assessed as to their endangerment of lives over all these years. If the lifeguards don't strike, no one will care to listen.

Again, it never fails. Every year Israel has so many drownings because of people who swim on unguarded beaches, with or without strikes.

Justcurious
12-12-2006, 10:17 AM
I wouldn't be so fast to blame the LGs. I'm sure they're on the bottom of the budget totem pole.

Frankly, you have to be an idiot to go in the Mediteranean waters on Israel's coast without an LG watching the coast. It's suicidal. Always has been.

They announced on the news that the police are going to start fining swimmers on an unprotected beach.

No wonder Israeli swimmers did not get more than one bronze medal in the recent Short Course European Championships. Is swimming really that dangerous in Israel?

http://www.helsinki2006.org/press.php?pag=Medals_Table