PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to MGB8 as New Moderator

NewsGuy
11-19-2004, 08:26 AM
MGB8 is a well-reasoned debater who combines facts and intelligence to put together a winning argument.

He now joins us as part of the expanded Moderator team and will contribute to the forum's growth and content improvement.

With MGB8 onboard, we now have the largest and most varied leadership that the forum has ever known.

Welcome, MGB8. Good luck and have fun, man.

minusthejihad
11-19-2004, 08:45 AM
You've been here forever and never let your guard down, congrats MGB8!

KettleWhistle
11-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Congrats, MGB8, and welcome to the team.

philingraham
11-19-2004, 03:09 PM
NewsGuy, Your massively staffed moderators for each Forum makes me wonder what the purpose of a moderator is. It looks vaguely Communistic(G_d forbid). What's going on? How are they supposed to make a judgement as to what is appropriate? Dunno, NewsGuy, looks like you're panicking in light of the recent defections...

minusthejihad
11-19-2004, 03:23 PM
NewsGuy, Your massively staffed moderators for each Forum makes me wonder what the purpose of a moderator is. It looks vaguely Communistic(G_d forbid). What's going on? How are they supposed to make a judgement as to what is appropriate? Dunno, NewsGuy, looks like you're panicking in light of the recent defections...

Defections? Pray do tell.

NewsGuy
11-19-2004, 03:25 PM
You mean a appointing 3 new Moderators a few months after banning some of your friends is a sign of "panic?" Dunno, philingraham, seems like paranoia on your part.

Actually, the forum's content has significantly improved since then, and we typically receive 100-200 posts a day currently. But, if you would care to "defect" yourself, it would also be ok, if you know what I mean.

The least you could do is to congratulate the new guys and wish them all the best on your way out...

MGB8
11-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to follow Newsguy's and Medio's example and look for new resources to bring to the Israel Forum Community, to help liven debate and better inform and prepare us all.

Canajew
11-19-2004, 09:11 PM
You mean a appointing 3 new Moderators a few months after banning some of your friends is a sign of "panic?" Dunno, philingraham, seems like paranoia on your part.

Actually, the forum's content has significantly improved since then, and we typically receive 100-200 posts a day currently. But, if you would care to "defect" yourself, it would also be ok, if you know what I mean.

The least you could do is to congratulate the new guys and wish them all the best on your way out...please. There is no need for animocity Newsguy. Kind of what led to the troubles in the first place.

Justcurious
07-19-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try to follow Newsguy's and Medio's example and look for new resources to bring to the Israel Forum Community, to help liven debate and better inform and prepare us all.

Welcome from me, too. I'm a bit late and only came to this page as a result of my search for the meaning of MGB8.

You may have to wait for some things. For instance, yesterday I met two friends whom I had met 30 years ago the previous time. I know it was 30 years exactly, as their daughter was photographed 30 years ago with my son and both of them were a few months old then.

Kenneth
07-19-2007, 08:21 AM
I'm confused, did someone have a baby and the baby's a moderator?

Roland
07-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Moderators hatch from eggs.

Kenneth
07-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Indeed they do, I caught one only last night in my backyard [here's a artists rendering (http://velenux.oltrelinux.com/temp_works/Raptor.jpg)], it was listening in to a conversation I was having with my neighbour.

Mediocrates
07-19-2007, 11:32 AM
Did you know that Honey Badgers are one of nature's few effective weapons against Killer Africanized Honey Bees?

sunshine
07-19-2007, 11:54 AM
he deserves it

Kenneth
07-19-2007, 01:11 PM
Did you know that Honey Badgers are one of nature's few effective weapons against Killer Africanized Honey Bees?

No but it makes sense now that you mention it. But isn't the African killer bee not all that dangerous, rather it's the cross breed honey bee that's the real danger, and every year it creeps closer to the US border. The age of the mammal is once again under threat. The insects never went away and the reptiles grow bolder by the day.

andak01
07-19-2007, 01:38 PM

Yes, but what's the weapon to use against Africanized Honey Badgers?

Mediocrates
07-19-2007, 04:14 PM
I mention this because Hive Collapse is a big deal where I live and any methods used to cull African Bees is extremely problematic if it's a pervasive chemical or hormonal approach.

We should be raising large numbers of Honey Badgers and using them in controlled experiments to suppress African Hives selectively. And then, hey, they're cute furry violent omnivorous pets, sort of....

Mediocrates
07-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Yes, but what's the weapon to use against Africanized Honey Badgers?

Tasers. Or Robots.

bararallu
07-19-2007, 04:30 PM
I mention this because Hive Collapse is a big deal where I live and any methods used to cull African Bees is extremely problematic if it's a pervasive chemical or hormonal approach.

We should be raising large numbers of Honey Badgers and using them in controlled experiments to suppress African Hives selectively. And then, hey, they're cute furry violent omnivorous pets, sort of....

I thought it was the Asian bee parasite thats doing all the damage?

Mediocrates
07-19-2007, 07:09 PM
That's one theory. No one's entirely sure. It could also be phermonal. The parasites could be another. There is evidence to suggest that the parasites have been around for a while and we're only now starting to see them. There is also not a good understanding of the locality of hive collapse, why it happens in some places not in others. Moreover wild colonies don't appear to suffer the same problems. African Bees in the wild suffer nearly equal rates of collapse but because of their other behaviors they seem less impaired long run given that Africa wild colonies spontaneously regroup when their hives are destroyed for any reason. In other words their colonies suffer die off at higher rates than other wild colonies but overall it doesn't make a lot of difference to the survivability of the aggregate colonies overall.

I've always said that aggression in an of itself is a Darwinian advantage. Looks like that's true for people, badgers and bees.

bararallu
07-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Right. It could be as simple as that the domesticated bees are just too weak to defend against their southern neighbors. They could also be affected by generations of pesticides, heavy metals, and all the rest of the extras in our stygian water supply. Could be their genetic fitness was drastically [and negatively] effected by breeding/domestication, and the last few years have seen the phenotypic demonstration of that. Then again it could be global warming... got to consult the goricle on that one ;).

Well what ever their demise is expedited from, they seem to be doing better than the local amphibians, but not as well as the variety of snake looking [and hyper aggressive] Chinese fish that have recently invaded the American waterways en mass [if I was a conspiracy theorist...].

nbarzelay
07-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Wtf? Where did this thread turn into an Africanized killer bee discussion? Honey badgers?

Anyways, congrats MGB8.

bararallu
07-20-2007, 07:37 AM
The lounge seems to be busy with serious discussion at the moment :D

andak01
07-20-2007, 09:52 AM
Tasers. Or Robots.

Hopefully not Africanized ones! I Africanized my family and look what happened to me. :eek: Little African-Americans!

Kenneth
07-20-2007, 10:03 AM
African Robot Bee Police do your thang. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQX_TcVDFnI)

But let's bee honest, we all know who is the real bee slayer (http://www.laughingplace.com/files/columns/HillArc20010403/HoneyTree.jpg)

Mediocrates
07-20-2007, 10:47 AM
http://www.badgerbadgerbadger.com/