Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Why didnt Moses kill Aaron too for for making the Golden Calf?

  1. #1
    Agnosthiest
    Guest

    Why didnt Moses kill Aaron too for for making the Golden Calf?

    From the book of Exodus
    32:1
    Now when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down from the mountain, the people assembled about Aaron and said to him, "Come, make us a god who will go before us; as for this Moses, the man who brought us up from the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him."
    32:2
    Aaron said to them, "Tear off the gold rings which are in the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters, and bring them to me."
    32:3
    Then all the people tore off the gold rings which were in their ears and brought them to Aaron.
    32:4
    He took this from their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool and made it into a molten calf; and they said, "This is your god, O Israel, who brought you up from the land of Egypt."
    32:5
    Now when Aaron saw this, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made a proclamation and said, "Tomorrow shall be a feast to the LORD."
    32:6
    So the next day they rose early and offered burnt offerings , and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play.



    Looks like everybody thought that Moses was dead or lost, so the people decided to take destiny into their own hands. And it appears that even aaron had the same opinion. Though the idea wasnt originally his, he was very much into it. It even appears that the idea of what god to make was his. It appears he intended to take the place of Moses.

    And we all know that Moses massacred many people who partook in this episode. The question is, why didnt he hang the ringleader who happens to be his brother?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Achihud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    belgium the absurd
    Posts
    1,100
    answers quick please...
    Agnosthiest needs to finish his book; How God didn't talk to Moses, the Jewish fraud

  3. #3
    Agnosthiest
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Achihud
    answers quick please...
    Agnosthiest needs to finish his book; How God didn't talk to Moses, the Jewish fraud
    you believe what you want to believe, i'll believe what i want to believe. and i believe that there is no certainty on what happened during the time of moses, but it is likely that it wasnt really a god that moses and the jews thought they interacted with.

    im not intentionally trying to discredit your religion. it was just a topic that came up accidentally yesterday.

    now I just want to know what jews think about this topic i posted.

    peace?

  4. #4
    Mira
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Agnosthiest
    From the book of Exodus
    32:1
    Now when the people saw that Moses delayed to come down from the mountain, the people assembled about Aaron and said to him, "Come, make us a god who will go before us; as for this Moses, the man who brought us up from the land of Egypt, we do not know what has become of him."
    32:2
    Aaron said to them, "Tear off the gold rings which are in the ears of your wives, your sons, and your daughters, and bring them to me."
    32:3
    Then all the people tore off the gold rings which were in their ears and brought them to Aaron.
    32:4
    He took this from their hand, and fashioned it with a graving tool and made it into a molten calf; and they said, "This is your god, O Israel, who brought you up from the land of Egypt."
    32:5
    Now when Aaron saw this, he built an altar before it; and Aaron made a proclamation and said, "Tomorrow shall be a feast to the LORD."
    32:6
    So the next day they rose early and offered burnt offerings , and brought peace offerings; and the people sat down to eat and to drink, and rose up to play.



    Looks like everybody thought that Moses was dead or lost, so the people decided to take destiny into their own hands. And it appears that even aaron had the same opinion. Though the idea wasnt originally his, he was very much into it. It even appears that the idea of what god to make was his. It appears he intended to take the place of Moses.

    And we all know that Moses massacred many people who partook in this episode. The question is, why didnt he hang the ringleader who happens to be his brother?
    I don't know how "into it" he really was. There is a midrash that states that when the people first expressed their desire for an idol to worship, Aron's nephew Hur rebuked them and was killed, at which point Aron was afraid and realized that they were intent upon sinning. We also know from the text of the Torah that Araon was very loved by the people and he may have even been something of an intermediary between the people and Moses (who had a speech impediment and needed Araon to speak on his behalf even to Pharoah, who spoke Moses' native Egyptian language). If the people trusted him, that by itself doesn't demonstrate a desire to supplant Moses. There are gaps in the text and we can only guess what Aron's motivation was for helping the people to build the calf. The very fact that he insisted on building the calf and an alter for it by himself without the aid of ther others, may have been an attempt to delay the whole affair in the hope that Moses would return by the time it was finished. In any event, when Moses did arrive and asked what had happened, Aron answered in a manner that attempted to absolve himself by saying that the people were intent upon sinning:

    "21Moses said to Aaron, "What did these people do to you, that you have brought a great sin on them?"

    22 Aaron said, "Don't let the anger of my lord grow hot. You know the people, that they are set on evil.

    23 For they said to me,'Make us gods, which shall go before us; for as for this Moses, the man who brought us up out of the land of Egypt, we don't know what has become of him.'

    24 I said to them,'Whoever has any gold, let them take it off:' so they gave it to me; and I threw it into the fire, and out came this calf."

    25 When Moses saw that the people had broken loose, (for Aaron had let them loose for a derision among their enemies),"
    and then...

    26 Moses stood in the gate of the camp, and said, "Whoever is on Yahweh's side, come to me!" All the sons of Levi gathered themselves together to him."
    Aron was from the Tribe of Levi. Was he at Moses's side when Moses made the call? Did he take part in what happened next along with the other members of his tribe? Were the other Levis soft on Aron because of who he was? Was Moses soft on him because he was his brother? Was Moses even at a time of intense rage showing some kind of pragmatism given the status and potential intermediary role Araon may have had with the people? Does the text accept Aron's attempts to absolve himself of his own actions? There are a lot of questions. We Jews don't see that as a problem...we see it as an invitation.

    Have to run.....bye!

  5. #5
    mbczion
    Guest
    Mira's answer is correct. Aharon indeed wanted to delay the people as long as possible from making the Golden Calf, so he asked people to take off jewelry hoping to delay the process by doing so. Aharon did get rebuked for not taking the blame, but certainly did NOT deserve to die. Also, this is why Moshe, not Aharon, was appointed leader of Klal Yisrael. Aharon was great at pursuing peace and ran around getting people to make up with each other and even saved many marriages, but as a leader he would have had no backbone. Moshe, on the other hand, was a firm leader but did not win popularity contests. Even after Aharon died, it says "All of Yisrael was crying", while it does not say so after Moses' death.

    Mira's signature:
    I'm starting a new religion made up only of people I like. Please check your mail to see if you've been selected.
    What about me?

  6. #6
    Mira
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mbczion
    Mira's answer is correct. Aharon indeed wanted to delay the people as long as possible from making the Golden Calf, so he asked people to take off jewelry hoping to delay the process by doing so. Aharon did get rebuked for not taking the blame, but certainly did NOT deserve to die. Also, this is why Moshe, not Aharon, was appointed leader of Klal Yisrael. Aharon was great at pursuing peace and ran around getting people to make up with each other and even saved many marriages, but as a leader he would have had no backbone. Moshe, on the other hand, was a firm leader but did not win popularity contests. Even after Aharon died, it says "All of Yisrael was crying", while it does not say so after Moses' death.
    Well....neither merited entry into the promised land. There are a lot of parallels between then and now, wouldn't you agree?
    Mira's signature:


    What about me?:
    Don't feel personally offended. Nobody got an email. I think I was reacting to something someone here wrote and I forgot to change my sig. Thanks for reminding me to update it.

  7. #7
    Bloodnut
    Guest
    There is also plenty of evidence that the Gold Calf was intended to serve as a pedestal for Yahweh to stand upon. Nahum Sarna makes this argument, as it was common practice in the ANE to use calf pedestals for such purposes.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Gandhi or Moses? I'll take side with Moses, Amen.
    By D.Abraham in forum Religion/Culture
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 09:28 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •