Thread: Poll: Sinking Perceptions Of Islam

ygalg1

Poll: Sinking Perceptions Of Islam

From news article:

NEW YORK, April 12, 2006
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    (CBS) Although Americans believe they are better informed about Islam than they were five years ago, a new CBS News poll finds fewer than one in five say their impression of the religion is favorable.

Forty-five percent of respondents queried April 6 - 9 said they have an unfavorable view of Islam, a rise from 36 percent in February. And the public’s impression of Islam has diminished even more compared with four years ago. In February 2002 – less than six months after the terrorist attacks of September 11 – the country was evenly divided in its impression of Islam.

WHAT IS YOUR IMPRESSION OF ISLAM?

FAVORABLE
    Now
    19%

30%

UNFAVORABLE
    Now
    45%

33%

Thirty-six percent of respondents said they haven’t heard enough or don’t know enough to say either way.

Americans today are also more likely than not to believe that Islam encourages violence, at least in comparison to other religions around the world.

The last few months have seen escalating sectarian violence between Shiite and Sunni Islamic factions in Iraq and the ongoing trial of Zacarias Moussaoui in the United States. The poll finds 46 percent of Americans believe Islam encourages violence more than other religions, compared with 39 percent of Americans who felt that way two months ago and 35 percent who felt that way in March 2002 (according to a Gallup Poll).

When compared with some other religions practiced in America, positive views of Islam rank below those for mainstream Protestantism, Catholicism, Judaism, and Christian fundamentalist faiths. Only Scientology, of all the religions asked about, ranked lower.

WHAT IS YOUR IMPRESSION OF....

PROTESTANTISM/OTHER CHRISTIANS
    Favorable
    58%

Unfavorable
    12%

Don't Know
    30%

THE CATHOLIC RELIGION
    Favorable
    48%

Unfavorable
    37%

Don't Know
    15%

THE JEWISH RELIGION
    Favorable
    47%

Unfavorable
    16%

Don't Know
    37%

CHRISTIAN FUNDAMENTALISTS RELIGIONS
    Favorable
    31%

Unfavorable
    31%

Don't Know
    38%

THE MORMON RELIGION
    Favorable
    20%

Unfavorable
    39%

Don't Know
    41%

ISLAM
    Favorable
    19%

Unfavorable
    45%

Don't Know
    36%

SCIENTOLOGY
    Favorable
    8%

Unfavorable
    52%

Don't Know
    40%

link

andak01
    Those results don't surprise me. I understand that Fox News is one of the most popular single sources of news. On the other hand, I note that I am no longer extraordinary in being an American Muslim. Used to be when I visited a mosque here, I was surrounded by curious foreigners. Now, there are already new generations, like my own children born in America and being taught both American and Islamic values.

More people are starting to encounter Muslims in their personal lives, and I don't expect Muslims will receive a warmer welcome than any other new kids on the block in "tolerant" America. Think of the bright side, the more Middle Eastern countries we invade, the more Muslims will move over here, build mosques and proselytize. Iraqis and Afghans will be your new neighbors and your children's friends. Mozel tov.

Bloodnut
    Yes, of course. The reason perceptions of Islam and Muslims has dropped, has absolutely nothing to do with actions by faithful Muslims!

No, absolutely not. That possibility is even entertainable. The real culprit has to be American "intolerance." Yeah, that's the ticket! The country that has stimulated and produced the most thriving Muslim population on the planet. Yeah, they're truly oppressed in America!

What a crock.

This is just more excuse making by Muslims who refuse to accept accountability for the actions of their counterparts. The repercussions are pummeling to their public image, as it should be. It is a result of the facts. Facts like most terrorists are Muslims, even though most Muslims are not terrorists. Facts like Muslims organizations in America come across as "moderate," and then make complete idiots of themselves by supporting terrorists groups and making public statements about how Islam will replace the constitution with sharia law!

The best thing Islam can do at this point is to seek blame within itself because only there will a solution be found. Blaming American perceptions, drudging up lame conspiracy theories, whining about zionism, is sad and also somewhat ironic. Especially when Saudi money funds all sorts of various "Muslim Understanding" centers across the USA, while back in Saudi Arabia "Christian understanding" is placed on teh backburner - Christians and Jews cannot even live in the country legally, let alone practice their religion publicly.

Posted by Andak:

More people are starting to encounter Muslims in their personal lives, and I don't expect Muslims will receive a warmer welcome than any other new kids on the block in "tolerant" America. Think of the bright side, the more Middle Eastern countries we invade, the more Muslims will move over here, build mosques and proselytize. Iraqis and Afghans will be your new neighbors and your children's friends. Mozel tov.

Welcome to Skokie Illinois!!!!
    Mil - stands for the countless MILlions of reasons not to work.

Arjunn
    Quote Originally Posted by ygalg1
    From news article:

NEW YORK, April 12, 2006
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    (CBS) Although Americans believe they are better informed about Islam than they were five years ago, a new CBS News poll finds fewer than one in five say their impression of the religion is favorable.

Forty-five percent of respondents queried April 6 - 9 said they have an unfavorable view of Islam, a rise from 36 percent in February. And the public’s impression of Islam has diminished even more compared with four years ago. In February 2002 – less than six months after the terrorist attacks of September 11 – the country was evenly divided in its impression of Islam.

WHAT IS YOUR IMPRESSION OF ISLAM?

FAVORABLE
    Now
    19%

30%

UNFAVORABLE
    Now
    45%

33%

Thirty-six percent of respondents said they haven’t heard enough or don’t know enough to say either way.

Americans today are also more likely than not to believe that Islam encourages violence, at least in comparison to other religions around the world.

The last few months have seen escalating sectarian violence between Shiite and Sunni Islamic factions in Iraq and the ongoing trial of Zacarias Moussaoui in the United States. The poll finds 46 percent of Americans believe Islam encourages violence more than other religions, compared with 39 percent of Americans who felt that way two months ago and 35 percent who felt that way in March 2002 (according to a Gallup Poll).

When compared with some other religions practiced in America, positive views of Islam rank below those for mainstream Protestantism, Catholicism, Judaism, and Christian fundamentalist faiths. Only Scientology, of all the religions asked about, ranked lower.

WHAT IS YOUR IMPRESSION OF....

PROTESTANTISM/OTHER CHRISTIANS
    Favorable
    58%

Unfavorable
    12%

Don't Know
    30%

THE CATHOLIC RELIGION
    Favorable
    48%

Unfavorable
    37%

Don't Know
    15%

THE JEWISH RELIGION
    Favorable
    47%

Unfavorable
    16%

Don't Know
    37%

CHRISTIAN FUNDAMENTALISTS RELIGIONS
    Favorable
    31%

Unfavorable
    31%

Don't Know
    38%

THE MORMON RELIGION
    Favorable
    20%

Unfavorable
    39%

Don't Know
    41%

ISLAM
    Favorable
    19%

Unfavorable
    45%

Don't Know
    36%

SCIENTOLOGY
    Favorable
    8%

Unfavorable
    52%

Don't Know
    40%

link

why am i not surprised!

ygalg1
    Quote Originally Posted by andak01
    Those results don't surprise me. I understand that Fox News is one of the most popular single sources of news. On the other hand, I note that I am no longer extraordinary in being an American Muslim. Used to be when I visited a mosque here, I was surrounded by curious foreigners. Now, there are already new generations, like my own children born in America and being taught both American and Islamic values.
    and you find American and Islamic values in coexistent?
    it pronounce mazal tov

Bloodnut
    == Those results don't surprise me. I understand that Fox News is one of the most popular single sources of news.

Oh good grief. This nonsense again? Is this all you have to add is more pathetic excuses about some right wing conspiracy being the culprit?

The fact is that since 9-11 books on Islam by Bernard Lewis, John Esposito, Edward Said, et cetera, were flying off the book shelves. Borders, Barnes and Nobles, et cetera, had a hard time keeping them in stock.

Simply put, Americans informed themselves and came away unimpressed. The same holds true for the majority of those who read the Quran and Islamic commentaries on the Quran. One is inclined to feel offended just by reading them.

People do not rely on FOX news to form their perceptions (which has never attacked Muslims anyway).

andak01
    Some went away unimpressed, some came back converted. My own imam performed shahada ceremony on two Americans on 9/12/2001, and many times since.

andak01
    Quote Originally Posted by ygalg1
    it pronounce mazal tov
    Gesundheit!

Thread Information