Thread: Monkey Killers

Monkey Killers

Wow, I may have underestimated the resources of the Pakistani ISI.

Interesting. They want, or at least tolerate,the little buggers for religious reasons, but don't know what to do when they become trouble. Is this one of those situations where the practice / practical balance needs readdressing and practical wins?

I do like the idea of introducing bigger more aggressive Langur Monkeys to chase of the Rhesus macaques. And when the Langurs become troublesome their bigger and slightly even more aggressive cousins the Baboons can be introduced to chase of the Langurs. Once the Baboons start up their own particular strain of anti-social behaviour the Rhesus macaques can be re-introduced but this time they'll be trained in small firearms. The whole sorry debacle comes to a halt around 2015 when the India army is called in to rid Delhi of the marauding gangs of heavily armed and often drunk simians. Hanuman, although initially upset with the cull finally attests to its logic.
    As a youth I used to weep in butcher's shops.

leading of course to guerrillas...

Thing is I dig the way Indians do this, at least the animals have an option of retaliating and "being themselves," unlike say under bars or glass in Zoos and Aquariums. The monkeys have friends btw.

I once watched a program on Hindu attitudes towards animals. That rat temple was mentioned. They fed them milk from bowls. There was thousands of them scampering about the floor. There was another segment in the program where they featured a hospital for sick animals and because of the belief that it's wrong to kill, even for mercy's sake, they let the animals who were beyond repair, suffer on in gruesome torment. I can't help but draw comparisons between this twisted attitude and mother Teresa's own fixation with suffering as a way to understand her Jesus. The apple, I suppose, doesn't fall far from the tree as they say.

Hmm food for though... Different strokes for different folks? on the other hand scratch that.

Arguments and counter arguments can be made on the varied ethics. Some of the disagreements are religiously grounded, if not all. All the beliefs are also fairly ancient.

Who is to say that shooting a horse that broke it's leg in a race is humane? Or keeping it alive in a hospital till it perishes from shock? I say an easy compromise is to treat animals as we treat humans, or as approximately as possible, if we treat them at all. No dude would get shot in the head if he broke his leg in a triathlon... neither would he suffer as greatly in the hospital on his death bed if enough morphine was given. This is impossible to do in every or perhaps most cases, but the logic to me is the only sound one (BTW I'm not one of those guys who wants to give animals or chimps human rights, this is a different sort of point).

varian
    Thanks to those little critters, along with some good scientific work by Alexander Wiener and Karl Landsteiner, we now know the difference between Rh positive and Rh negative blood. I do believe that they kept theirs in a cage though.

Having handled lab rats in my youth, I will not savor another meeting with them , whether in a lab or in a dark street corner. Little critters go right for your jugular. The monkeys seem to be different, or maybe the apes. When I was on photo Safari a while back in Kenya, the Baboons would literally surround us tourists and examine us, but no one ever got bit AFAIK. And after a while they would loose interest. They weren't begging for food, it was total recognizable interest I have to say, like some bottle nose dolphins exhibit at sea.

Thread Information