Thread: Cola wars as Coke moves on Baghdad

savvy

Cola wars as Coke moves on Baghdad

Coke is back in Iraq, and the conspiracy theorists are out in force. From the Guardian,

Coca-Cola has returned to Iraq after an absence of nearly four decades, triggering a cola war in a lucrative but potentially hostile market.
    Coke ended its 37-year exile last week by setting up a joint-venture
    bottling company to compete with Pepsi for 26 million consumers.

The upsides for Coke include a thirst-inducing climate and burgeoning
    Islamic conservatism which has banned beer and other alcoholic drinks in much of the country.

The downsides, besides Pepsi's head start, are a raging insurgency and
    banditry which threaten supply routes, and a perception that Coca-Cola is linked to Israel and "American Zionists".

Coke withdrew from Iraq in 1968 when the Arab League declared a boycott because of business ties to Israel, leaving Pepsi to dominate the Middle East market for soft drinks. The boycott ended in 1991, but sanctions and wars kept Coke out of Iraq.

After a trickle of Coca-Cola imports from neighbouring countries, the
    company is attempting a proper comeback by launching a joint venture with a Turkish company, Efes Invest, and its Iraqi partner HMBS, which will reportedly bottle the Coke in Dubai and distribute it across Iraq.

"A local bottling company will employ local people to do this," a Coca-Cola spokesman said yesterday. "This happens in most of the 200 countries in which we operate around the world, despite the perception of us as an American company."

The response in Baghdad yesterday was mixed. One drink wholesaler, Abbas Salih, said the initiative was doomed. "Coca-Cola does business with those who are shooting our brothers in Palestine," he said. "How can we drink it?"

Abu Ream, a shop owner in Baghdad, repeated a widespread conspiracy theory: "If you hold up a Coke can to the mirror, the writing says 'No Allah'," Mr Ream said. "Or maybe 'No Mohammad'. I can't remember which."...

I think if you hold the Cola to the light in Arabic it says..... (I even know how to say it in Hebrew!!!!).....

Well, keeping up with the times it's - BLOW ME!!!!
    Mil - stands for the countless MILlions of reasons not to work.

KSO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mil
    I think if you hold the Cola to the light it says..... (I even know how to say it in Hebrew!!!!).....
    Better than Pepsi!

Better than Pepsi!

Mountain DEW!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mil
    Better than Pepsi!

Mountain DEW!!!!!!!!
    Redneck.

Justcurious
    Coke lovers even in Baghdad will have to bear in mind that Coke can be dangerous! In Sweden, a man bought a bottle at a gas station, but the drink contained poisonous material ("glykol" in Swedish) and was nearly killed.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article1516097.ab

Quote Originally Posted by Justcurious View Post
    Coke lovers even in Baghdad will have to bear in mind that Coke can be dangerous! In Sweden, a man bought a bottle at a gas station, but the drink contained poisonous material ("glykol" in Swedish) and was nearly killed.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nyheter/article1516097.ab

Darn Jews and their Coca-Cola related plots, right Justcurious? Because all those coke drinkers across the world are dying in high numbers, compared to the anti-Israel pepsi drinkers?

You know, I never thought you were an anti-semite, but stupid posts like the above make me wonder.

Aysun
    Quote Originally Posted by savvy View Post
    Coke is back in Iraq, and the conspiracy theorists are out in force. From the Guardian,

Coca-Cola has returned to Iraq after an absence of nearly four decades, triggering a cola war in a lucrative but potentially hostile market.
    Coke ended its 37-year exile last week by setting up a joint-venture
    bottling company to compete with Pepsi for 26 million consumers.
    Coca-Cola's new CEO is a Turk. he may also play some role in this one, not sure though.

I don't drink neither Coke nor Pepsi because they are not really healthy. but if I have to compare, Coke tastes much better.
    Last edited by Aysun; 12-24-2007 at 10:38 PM.

I happen to like Coke better, but both are awful for you - not in moderation, but the acids used for carbonation and sweetening are not good for your body. That said, I drink tons and tons of either/or. But Coke had a problem with the Arab countries because it sold in Israel, while Pepsi wouldn't sell in Israel for a long time so that it could sell in the Arab countries. Bit, aside from the exact levels of x or y chemical, they are essentially the same.

Coca-Cola's new CEO is a Turk

Another Joo conspiracy.

It was probably meant in jest, but it just doesn't come out funny. It comes across as "don't deal with the collaborators!" And it's annoying.

Aysun
    Quote Originally Posted by Mil View Post
    Coca-Cola's new CEO is a Turk

Another Joo conspiracy.
    what? which conspiracy are you talking about? maybe he made a new statregy to spread Coke among the Arab nations and used his nationality as an ice breaking thing. this was just an innocent guess for god's sake. pfffff..

Quote Originally Posted by Aysun View Post
    what? which conspiracy are you talking about? maybe he made a new statregy to spread Coke among the Arab nations and used his nationality as a ice breaking thing. this was just an innocent guess for god's sake. pfffff..
    Aysun,

The "Joo conspiracy" bit was a sarcastic comment. Of course Coca-cola is a giant international company that has nothing to do with politics or religion or, for that matter, anything outside of making money for itself. And so the CEO has nothing to do with anything. But it makes fun of the Arabs who will concoct a story about how it is a Jewish plot to enter the Arab world, or whatever.

You know how the media in the Arab world (and also in hard-left-wing and extreme-right-wing circles) makes everything out to be a conspiracy by Jews and Zionists. That's why Jew is mis-spelled as "Jooo." Because it is stupid lunatic conspiracy theories.

I mean, how ridiculous is it for the Arab countries to not have Coke in them because Coke sells in Israel? What does one thing have to do with the other?

But this is par from a course that accuses Jews of poisoning wells, spreading AIDS, manipulating the US and banking, making matza with the blood of gentile children, etc. etc. etc.

Aysun
    Quote Originally Posted by MGB8 View Post
    Aysun,

The "Joo conspiracy" bit was a sarcastic comment. Of course Coca-cola is a giant international company that has nothing to do with politics or religion or, for that matter, anything outside of making money for itself. And so the CEO has nothing to do with anything. But it makes fun of the Arabs who will concoct a story about how it is a Jewish plot to enter the Arab world, or whatever.

You know how the media in the Arab world (and also in hard-left-wing and extreme-right-wing circles) makes everything out to be a conspiracy by Jews and Zionists. That's why Jew is mis-spelled as "Jooo." Because it is stupid lunatic conspiracy theories.
    Ok, thanks for the explanation. I know that Arab world is full of that kind of theories. I even told my friends the Coca Cola in the mirror theory today and they all laughed at it. my guess has nothing to do with the politics though. it was also about making more money.. anyway..

Thread Information