Thread: UK Pakistani population has higher rate of recessive disease

farmall

UK Pakistani population has higher rate of recessive disease

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7237663.stm

"Research for BBC2's Newsnight in November 2005 showed British Pakistanis accounted for 3.4% of all births but have 30% of all British children with "recessive disorders".

andak01

I assume you meant me. Making fun of Pakistanis is a raison d'etre around here.
    Last edited by andak01; 02-10-2008 at 07:43 PM.

Bangladeshis

BTW, having worked in the UK, I definitely can attest to far better oral hygiene from both Pakistans vs the soon to be usurped population of Normanized Anglo Saxons.

This thread is being closely monitored, and I it's taking some effort to resist the impulse to close and/or delete it right now. Watch it.

ShimonG
    Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7237663.stm

"Research for BBC2's Newsnight in November 2005 showed British Pakistanis accounted for 3.4% of all births but have 30% of all British children with "recessive disorders".
    This is a serious problem in pakistan also. AFAIK, it is more prevalent among pakistanis of rural origin (with marriages common among first cousins) but afflicts a significant portion of urban pakistanis as well.
    Last edited by MGB8; 02-11-2008 at 05:27 AM.

ShimonG
    Islamic justification for marriage among cousins.
    http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544772

Two things stand out in the above article.
    "Marriages between first cousins are allowed in Islam. In surat an-Nisa' (4:22-24), Allah mentioned the women who are forbidden for marriage and then He said, "… Lawful to you are all beyond those mentioned, so that you may seek them with your wealth in honest wedlock…" In surat al-Ahzab (33:50), Allah mentioned to the Prophet that he may marry the daughters of his uncles and aunts from the father's side or the mother's side. It is the consensus of the jurists that this permission was not only for the Prophet, but it is also a permission for other believers. Muslims have practiced marriages between first cousins in all countries since the time of the Prophet.
    However, the mullah also says.....
    The Islamic view is that while marriage between cousins is permissible, it is preferable to choose a marriage partner from outside one's family.
    Here's some more articles.

http://www.isteve.com/cousin_marriage_conundrum.htm

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...Y0MTA0MGM0YmY=

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...zIwYjc=&w=MQ==

Punjabi Hindus and Sikhs marry outside the clan, but they must also marry inside the caste. In Punjab, members of a patrilineal clan tend to live together in the same village. This means that eligible marriage partners of the same caste, but a different clan, can only be found in another village. So the rule of clan exogamy forces Punjabi Hindu and Sikh brides to leave their home villages to move in with husbands who live elsewhere. Hindu and Sikh brides therefore enter their husband’s joint family as strangers. The early years of married life for a Hindu or Sikh bride are thus famously stressful, since she is not only living with and learning the ways of strangers, but also works under the difficult and unfamiliar authority of her new mother-in-law. Over time, Hindu and Sikh brides often press their husbands to leave the joint family and strike out on their own.

In contrast, when Muslim brides are cousins to their husbands, they remain in their home village, living with relatives, and often working under the supervision of a mother-in-law who is also a beloved aunt. One of the reasons Muslim cousin-marriage helps cement such intense in-group solidarity is that it builds upon and magnifies the already immensely powerful emotional bonds of early family life.
    Rather than wealth, Holy argues, the real key to the puzzle of Muslim parallel-cousin marriage is family honor. With all the economic and social diversity in the Middle East, one factor remains constant. Wherever parallel-cousin marriage is practiced, the notion that the honor of the male family-line depends upon the sexual conduct of women is strong. For this reason, a woman’s father’s brother’s son (her parallel cousin) has the right-of-first-refusal in the matter of her marriage. To protect against the possibility of a woman’s shameful marriage (or other dangerous sexual conduct) damaging the honor of the men of her lineage, male relatives have the right to keep her safely within the family line by marrying her off to her parallel cousin.

And by the way, why should the United Al-Queendom warn about cousin marriage among moslems? It seems that more such consanguinous (sp?) marriages take place, the better it is for the Kaffir?

Also, this cousin marriage thing might just explain how that nation has a remarkable propensity to produces a-holes like musharraf.

ShimonG
    And of course, i'd be remiss if i did not mention the following "joke" about yokels from Arkansas or Louisiana.

"If Billy Bob and Bobby Sue divorced, are they still cousins?"
    Come to think of it, that might be true in parts of texas as well. Hmmmm.........

andak01
    Quote Originally Posted by ShimonG View Post
    And of course, i'd be remiss if i did not mention the following "joke" about yokels from Arkansas or Louisiana.

Come to think of it, that might be true in parts of texas as well. Hmmmm.........
    Reference to Bush I assume.

Thread Information