Thread: Simon Wiesenthal Center: "Israel is Fighting for Her Life"

martinw718

Simon Wiesenthal Center: "Israel is Fighting for Her Life"

The Simon Wiesenthal Center has a new publication "Israel is Fighting for Her Life" and it is available online in pdf format.

http://www.wiesenthal.com/

And remember that the Simon Wiesenthal Center is a very powerful advocate for Israel. Every penny they spend is put to good use.

Haifa
    do you seriously, deep in your heart, believe in the title?

ibrodsky
    Originally posted by Haifa
    Nah. Israel is surrounded by peace-loving countries. The Arabs never said they would drive the Jews into the sea. An Iranian leader never suggested nuking Israel.

And of course, the purpose of terrorist attacks against Israeli civilians is to persuade Israel to withdraw from the disputed territories. Then everything will be nice and quiet just like before 1967.

elke
    Haifa, - YES!

Adversary2Arabs
    It's common sense that if you don't defend yourself from someone who wants to kill you and whom can easily do so, you will die. No way around it. Someone starts running after you with a knife. Do you say, "Ahh screw it I'm too tired to run, I'll just let em kill me." OR "I'll defend myself with this gun in my pocket." If you don't think that 1/6 of the population could eliminate 5/6 of the population if the 5/6 doesn't care about surviving, then you have severe brain damage. That means for approximately every Arab, he must kill 5 Jews. Hell, in the bombings, 1 Arab kills 15 easily. This is obviously.

martinw718
    Originally posted by ibrodsky
    Then everything will be nice and quiet just like before 1967.
    Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Groucho
    I think its a little dramatic...but the sentiment is not innacurate

martinw718
    Originally posted by Groucho

I think its a little dramatic...but the sentiment is not innacurate
    Yes, it's a little dramatic, but how do you live under constant threat of being blown up?

Did anyone read the pamphlet? I did, it's 4 pages including a one page list of contacts. The pamphlet lists nine common statements that the PA and its supporters makes and then refutes them. The document does not translate well to any other format so you'll just have to download the PDF.
    Last edited by Mediocrates; 08-28-2002 at 07:50 AM.

Groucho
    Originally posted by martinw718

Yes, it's a little dramatic, but how do you live under constant threat of being blown up?
    Israelis manage. Its tough - but they have no choice.

Blodhemn
    groucho, you make it sound like that's the way iot should be and i should just accept it and move on...

Groucho
    Originally posted by Blodhemn
    groucho, you make it sound like that's the way iot should be and i should just accept it and move on...
    No, not at al. Israelis have no choice but to carry on their lives as best as possible. The situation is horrific, but what choice have they got - by carrying on as "normal" they manage to remain sane. If anything, it shows a sense of spirit and strength.
    How would we cope if this were happening around us in Chutz La'aretz?

Blodhemn
    that's the thing, we cannot get used to terror attacks, we cannot accept it.

the moment we start treating every terror attack as "just another terror attack-nothing special" we begin to decay.

terror must not be accepted into the norm.

we must be shocked and horrified with every terror attack as if it's the first, lest we lose this battle.

Groucho

the moment we start treating every terror attack as "just another terror attack-nothing special" we begin to decay.

we must be shocked and horrified with every terror attack as if it's the first, lest we lose this battle.
    You are absolutely right. I think that the way human nature deals with a tragedy is to rationalise it and move on - the danger being that we start to forget the consequences of the incident.

I try, like everyone, to make an effort to remember that each person who is killed has a bereaved family. Unfortunately, when the attacks come in waves, one soon forgets the individual attack as one try to absorb the new tragedy. I've found myself looking at reports of past attacks and trying to remember the incident.

The nature of the beast is that one remembers certain attacks and forgets others - maybe as a result of the level of deaths or the fact that one can relate more to some attacks than others.

Everyone remembers the Sbarro and Pesach attacks, but how many of us remember the (eg) second attack in rishon as opposed to the first one, or the 3rd attack in Netanya, as opposed to the second one.

I think this is the way that we deal with it all, otherwise we'd go crazy, just thinking of it. I think the most important thing to bear in mind is not so much the date, time, location of the tragedy, but the fact that on each occasion, people who were living their lives like you or I, boarding buses, having lunch etc - were killed in a manner that no-one wants to think about (i.e the nature of the incident and the gruesome repercussions).

As a result, there is a certain fatalism in the air - but we must not become complacent or forgetful as to the fact that innocents have been killed.

martinw718

Very good point.

And think about this -- every terrorist attack that is stopped not only saves the precious lives involved, but it helps stop this "business as usual" attitude toward terrorism.

The fewer and farther between these attacks are, the more attention each one gets from the (always fickle always mercenary) news media.

Thread Information