Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Explain your username

Explain your username

A thread to take a little breather from the usual heated political debates. What does your username mean? Sure, some usernames are people's actual names (but they are in the minority), but most are not. I think mine is pretty obvious, but to the uninitiated "Aliyah" means literally "to go up" and more specifically when a Jew from the diaspora comes home to live in Israel, the Jewish homeland and 1995 is the year I "made aliyah". Now for the meaning all of your usernames....
    "Study astronomy and physics if you desire to comprehend the relation between the world and G-d's management of it." - RaMBaM (Maimonides), Guide For The Perplexed

andak01

Re: Explain your username

Moroccan Arabic for "Watch out!" Unfortunately, I believe it is also a word in Indonesian. Therefore, to allow me to search on it without finding posts in Indonesian, I added the 01. Simple as that.

ill take guesses

Mil - "Stands for million of reasons not to work."

In reality when I first joined the forum, 7 years ago?, I was in my helicopter stage. Mil stands for Mikhail Mil who was the head of the Soviet MIL design bureau, named after him. The MIL design bureau was and still is responsible for development and production of helicopters in USSR/Russia. It builds the the famous Mi brand helicopters. Mil is probably equivalent to Sikorsky.

And Mikhail Mil was also Jewish. I thought it was appropriate
    Last edited by Mil; 08-27-2009 at 10:07 AM.
    Mil - stands for the countless MILlions of reasons not to work.

I taught English in Israel and wanted to make aliyah, but my wife refused to stay permanently. Dayag is my family's surname translated into Hebrew, which I would have used had we stayed.
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

"Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

andak01

Quote Originally Posted by bararallu View Post
    ill take guesses
    U R all arab?

Rob

ill take guesses
    Are you the son of a heavy metal band member?

Quote Originally Posted by andak01 View Post
    U R all arab?
    LOL cold

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Are you the son of a heavy metal band member?
    Close, although they're not that good. we hearken from the same place.

Bar, ken.Gehena = Arralu, be-akkadit. The underworld of the ancient semites, for all you history neophytes. There now y'all know.

Close, although they're not that good. we hearken from the same place.

Bar, ken.Gehena = Arralu, be-akkadit. The underworld of the ancient semites, for all you history neophytes. There now y'all know.
    Wow. I never knew that there was an underworld for ancient semites. I thought the underworld was an Italian invention.

NewsGuy: I work in the news industry (having nothing to do with politics), and 8 years ago I figured that I would be most interested in finding news stories to discuss on the forum.

Now, I am considering the idea of changing my username to something completely unrelated to my occupation.

Quote Originally Posted by NewsGuy View Post
    Wow. I never knew that there was an underworld for ancient semites. I thought the underworld was an Italian invention.
    You better keep it to yourself or we [semites] are liable to visit you in the middle of the night . Also, since the last incarnation of this place, is known as "Vegas", you should know that our fellow Mediterranean friends are latecomers to the party.

Now, I am considering the idea of changing my username to something completely unrelated to my occupation.
    I was originally thinking Lady Chatterley's lover for mine, just because I hated that book and wanted to be reminded of it. I had to read it in a class I took, and I took that class because there was a hot chick, er, womyn, in there. Oh well... the errants of youth.

Mine is a pun.

Yala = "come on" in Hebrew/Arabic...I have no patience in real life
    "It is cheap to attack Israel. I am certainly not going to make a cheap attack on Israel by howling in the woods with the rest of the wolves." - Geert Wilders

GratefulFred

I worked at a movie theatre on miami beach in high school and one night when the boss wasn't around I put "GratefulFred" up on the corner of the outdoor movie markee and had my friend take a picture of me with my electric guitar. My name naturally for those who haven't guessed is Herbert...I mean Fred. Anyways word got around of the incident and a nickname was born. I didn't get caught or fired as we took down the letters right after the picture (hated to lose my minimum wage paying job). Not praticualrily a zionistic name but prior to my parents forcing me later on into a 2 month high school program in Israel I couldn't tell you who Hertzl was.

Quote Originally Posted by Yala View Post
    Yala = "come on" in Hebrew/Arabic...I have no patience in real life

Then you DEFINATELY need to make aliyah. You have NO excuses now
    "Study astronomy and physics if you desire to comprehend the relation between the world and G-d's management of it." - RaMBaM (Maimonides), Guide For The Perplexed

Thread Information