Thread: Please translate מַחֲמַדִּ

Agnosthiest

Please translate מַחֲמַדִּ

Anyone who can speak hebrew here?

can you please translate this:

חִכּוֹ, מַמְתַקִּים, וְכֻלּוֹ, מַחֲמַדִּים; זֶה דוֹדִי וְזֶה רֵעִי, בְּנוֹת יְרוּשָׁלִָ

i am specially interested on what this is:

מַחֲמַדִּ

thanks a million!

Re: Please translate מַחֲמַדִּ

Mountain look very spectacular from distance. Prostitutes look very beautiful when they make-up. War stories are very interesting. All these three things are interesting from distance.

Right, google it. I think the first 40 hits are about how Mohammed is referenced in the Song of Solomon. Objectively, if you check the google results you'll find more or less what you're looking for.

Agnosthiest

^ sanket, that is amazing!!! thanks man!

Agnosthiest

Quote Originally Posted by Mediocrates View Post
    Right, google it. I think the first 40 hits are about how Mohammed is referenced in the Song of Solomon. Objectively, if you check the google results you'll find more or less what you're looking for.

google translation proves that it doesnt translate to mohammad. freakin muslims. they'll resort to just about anything just to add another ... to their numbers.
    Last edited by dayag; 02-26-2010 at 10:46 AM. Reason: removed adjective "zombies" referring to Muslims

Saudi

Google what !

Perhaps you forget that M7mad in fact lived among the greatest &fiercest &smartest Jewish rabbis, they saw him, spoke to him,indeed knew him .....but it was difficult for them to say your'e the prophet.

The greatest Rabbis at the time (arguably) lived in Bavel, not in the Hijaz. If he had access to even a 3rd rate Rabbi, he would have had a better copy of Judaism that is Islam (which is far more of a copy of Zoroastrianism with Christian motifs rather than Judaism). Jews concluded that the age of prophecy ended nearly a thousand years before Mohamed claimed he was one. Also... all the prophets where Hebrew or antecedents of the Herbrews (not contemporaries). Mind you Ishmael is not a prophet to Am Israel. As such and by definition an Arab cannot be a prophet of Am Israel so there wasnt much to debate or accept- it was a joke to the Jews (no doubt pissing him off to the point of massacring the men and raping their women). Rewriting a religion while raiding caravans is a little hard to do...

Quote Originally Posted by bararallu View Post
    The greatest Rabbis at the time (arguably) lived in Bavel, not in the Hijaz.
    Hedjaz was never a major center of rabbinical study. I can't for the life of me remember any great scholar who lived there.

You're wrong about one thing, though:

Also... all the prophets where Hebrew or antecedents of the Herbrews (not contemporaries).
    Bil'am comes to mind. He wasn't a Jewish prophet but he is nevertheless recognized.

Agnostheist- the word you're looking for comes from the root "sweet", and generally means "delight" or "loveliness" in the Biblical context; sometimes it has the connotation of sexual desire. Anyone with even a basic knowledge of Hebrew will notice that it is in plural form here. If the Muslims want to translate it as "Muhammad" they better be prepared to some interesting theological consequences; for instance, in Ezekiel 24:16 the same word is applied to a woman. In the sense of sexual desire. More interestingly still, the verse you're quoting is from the Song of Songs. The Muslims usually vehemently protest against the idea that the Song of Songs is part of God's word because of its obvious and explicit erotic content.
    “This is a reality but I won’t deal with it in terms of recognizing or admitting it.”

Khaled Mashaal, Hamas leader

Quote Originally Posted by Womble View Post
    Hedjaz was never a major center of rabbinical study. I can't for the life of me remember any great scholar who lived there.
    Well to be fair, the i.e., the Goanim had freedom to practice their religion, in Bavel. Which culminated in the 7th century or so. In the Hijaz the Jews were wiped out by Arab Muslims. Completely and utterly stripped from existence. There was some traces (from geniza evidence IIRC) of the Teimanim and the Bavlim getting some escapees from the slaughter, but nothing really about how developed their minhog was or the Rabanoot on the ground. I would agree that it *probably* wasnt like Bavel or even Teiman or Alexandria, but it wasnt given a chance to develop- that is for sure. This was my point.

Bil'am comes to mind. He wasn't a Jewish prophet but he is nevertheless recognized.
    On the broad face of it you would be correct. Note, however, I did not say "Jewish," I said "Hebrew," aka a Token/Type distinction, Arab being another type altogether.

"Hebrew" in my usage is a composite ethnicity of Levantine cultures that cleaved to a general linga franca language, place culture and ultimately (monolatry as it was in במדבר and שופטים) religion of the Southern Levant/Ca'anan (a place name). Ruth was also a Moabite, I personally consider her a Hebrew- non Israelite but a Hebrew. If a Moabite were ripped out of history, they would be fairly indistinguishable from one of the Israelite tribes- they would be equally comprehensible to say the least.

Furthermore, even if it was an issue of being "Jewish" (And I will hold to my position on "Hebrew" and antecedents of which) they would certainly be a convert to Judaism (e.g., Onkolos) rather than someone trying to convert the Jews to a muddled confusing tale that half rips them off and the Christians and Zoroastrians.

Both our religion, and culture. were (And to a great degree still are) immensely geneologically centric.

Thread Information