Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35

Thread: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member Mediocrates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    N Carolina
    Posts
    30,616

    Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    Four Years. No contact with the Red Cross. Thousands of Palestinian murderers released from prison. Four Years:

    http://elderofziyon.blogspot.com/201...for-gilad.html

  2. #2
    nemesis
    Guest

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    Our prayers for his family and for his safe return.

    N

  3. #3
    Haifa
    Guest

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    This is a situation where it would be very well justified for the US military to forcefully intervene and free Gilad Shalit. In the interest of human rights and freedom, this must be done.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bararallu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NY & TA
    Posts
    6,774

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    I dont think the US should do anything but back Israel in the UN. Let the Israelis get their own man out.

  5. #5
    Haifa
    Guest

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    Quote Originally Posted by bararallu View Post
    I dont think the US should do anything but back Israel in the UN. Let the Israelis get their own man out.
    Then perhaps just moral and financial support.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Aliyah1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gush-Etzion, Israel
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    Quote Originally Posted by bararallu View Post
    I dont think the US should do anything but back Israel in the UN. Let the Israelis get their own man out.
    Agreed. Besides, no one (not even the best of the best of the American Military) knows the Gaza turf like the IDF, which is another reason, BTW, I am against any foreign "peacekeeping force" taking the IDF's place (aside from trusting just about nobody to be objective).
    "Study astronomy and physics if you desire to comprehend the relation between the world and G-d's management of it." - RaMBaM (Maimonides), Guide For The Perplexed

  7. #7
    Senior Member bararallu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NY & TA
    Posts
    6,774

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    Frankly, I wouldnt even want any financial support. Moral support is great, but when money changes hands the Buchanan-Carter Axis.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Australia/Israel
    Posts
    1,365

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    If Shalit could be freed militarily surely an attempt would already have been made over these past 4 years.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Aliyah1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gush-Etzion, Israel
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    Quote Originally Posted by curlyg View Post
    If Shalit could be freed militarily surely an attempt would already have been made over these past 4 years.
    You don't think there are any political implications involved? The IDF could have done a lot more in Cast Lead (IDF soldiers who were interviewed themselves when the operation was called off admitted as such), but guess why the IDF cut the operation short before completely toppling Hamas
    "Study astronomy and physics if you desire to comprehend the relation between the world and G-d's management of it." - RaMBaM (Maimonides), Guide For The Perplexed

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Australia/Israel
    Posts
    1,365

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aliyah1995 View Post
    You don't think there are any political implications involved? The IDF could have done a lot more in Cast Lead (IDF soldiers who were interviewed themselves when the operation was called off admitted as such), but guess why the IDF cut the operation short before completely toppling Hamas
    Of course there are political considerations involved. The decision on whether to launch the operation rests with the political leadership.

    But the fact of the matter is that either Israel doesn't know where Shalit is being held, or they know but the military's appraisal of the situation makes a rescue unlikely to succeed from an operational standpoint. Those are the only two rational options. If they knew where he was, and the IDF thought there was a good chance they could get him out by military means, what rational reason is there for not approving the operation? None.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Aliyah1995's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Gush-Etzion, Israel
    Posts
    1,784

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    Quote Originally Posted by curlyg View Post
    Of course there are political considerations involved. The decision on whether to launch the operation rests with the political leadership.

    But the fact of the matter is that either Israel doesn't know where Shalit is being held, or they know but the military's appraisal of the situation makes a rescue unlikely to succeed from an operational standpoint. Those are the only two rational options. If they knew where he was, and the IDF thought there was a good chance they could get him out by military means, what rational reason is there for not approving the operation? None.
    Because every time even one non-Israeli is killed in an IDF operation the whole world wants an investigation. Naturally, our leaders who are afraid of what the rest of the world thinks are taking this into consideration.
    "Study astronomy and physics if you desire to comprehend the relation between the world and G-d's management of it." - RaMBaM (Maimonides), Guide For The Perplexed

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Australia/Israel
    Posts
    1,365

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aliyah1995 View Post
    Because every time even one non-Israeli is killed in an IDF operation the whole world wants an investigation. Naturally, our leaders who are afraid of what the rest of the world thinks are taking this into consideration.
    You can't honestly believe that. Israel was willing to launch Operation Cast Lead and kill several hundred civilians - but isn't willing to launch an operation killing several dozen (at most) to free a captured soldier? I think not.

    Either they don't know where he is, or the military doesn't think they can get him out alive.

  13. #13
    Senior Member dayag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Artzot haBrit
    Posts
    3,337

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    Quote Originally Posted by Aliyah1995 View Post
    You don't think there are any political implications involved? The IDF could have done a lot more in Cast Lead (IDF soldiers who were interviewed themselves when the operation was called off admitted as such), but guess why the IDF cut the operation short before completely toppling Hamas
    That decision was a major catastrophe for both Israel and the Palestinians.
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

    "Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

  14. #14
    Senior Member bararallu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NY & TA
    Posts
    6,774

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    The way to free shalit is to terminate Maashal. They certainly know where he is. Kill him and issue a statement that Israel will liquidate the top leadership ongoing. I suspect a few months later there will be a prisoner swap.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Mil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,242

    Re: Four Years of Captivity for Gilad Shalit

    Is Gilad even still alive? When Arabs start all these games it always turns out they have something to hide.
    Mil - stands for the countless MILlions of reasons not to work.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •