Thread: Forum News: It Happened Yesterday

Forum News: It Happened Yesterday

As some of you know, the forum was vandalized yesterday. Many site owners don't like to mention these types of things, but it's fine with us to bring it up. Why? Because our forum is, of course, despised by an enormous number of (mostly) Muslims who try to hack and vandalize this forum every hour of every day for the past 10 years, literally. We tend to have records of those attempts, so I can say so with confidence.

We do have an unusually large number of security measures that protect against major attacks, and we have maintained special access for the FBI to investigate Islamist attacks on our server that might shed light on other investigations. But if even the Pentagon's sites are vandalized, you can imagine that we're not totally immune.

The most important thing we do is to maintain a series of backups of the forum data stored at different locations on different servers, which allow us to restore things quickly if need be. So in the end, no attack on the forum has been more than a very small nuisance. Simply put, the Muslims always lose - 100% of the time, because we're so well prepared for this scenario.

This is true of yesterday's vandalism, as well. We recorded an attack from Turkey, UAE, and Saudi Arabia. These were silly kids who failed miserably, as usual. But they boasted of their Jihad against Israel and Jews, and voiced their support for Palestinian terror groups -- something they could have done anyway by participating in a simple forum discussion.

The real point I wanted to make, however, is that when a new member applies to join the forum, we can see that they are coming from Muslim countries and have been allowing them to join anyway. We are open to discussion and debate of the issues and have been, basically, accepting people from the Muslim world as invited guests to our forum. Overall, there are very few Muslims who have the capability or interest in discussion with Jews (hatred and racism is a fundamental part of culture in the Muslim world), but we have been welcoming them as guests nonetheless. As much as the Muslims are raised on hate and racism against other religions, we, as Jews are raised for tolerance and peaceful coexistence.

But time and time again, the Muslim would-be hackers (though they're really not at that level), have abused our hospitality. And, isn't that really a mirror of how things have been in the world? Muslims have been invited guests into Western society and have almost always abused that hospitality and repaid their hosts' kindness with hatred and attacks against those peaceful societies. Of course, not all Muslims, but a very considerable percentage.

It really makes me wonder whether the entire concept of hospitality to those from the Muslim world is a good idea, and whether the whole premise of a civilized resolution of problems with the Muslim community isn't really a complete waste of time and, worse yet, a costly mistake.
    Last edited by NewsGuy; 05-08-2011 at 10:39 PM. Reason: typo
    "All we are saying is give peace a chance." - John Lennon

Re: Forum News: It Happened Yesterday

After looking things over, it appears to me that the forum has reverted to an indexing "restore point". Probably why my avatar has changed and I can't locate certain threads.

Is this guesstimate correct?
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Yes, exactly.

NewsGuy, thanks for your hard work on maintaining this forum. I'm sure you are doing a lot of work behind the scenes than the rest of us don't know about. I hope I am not the first one to say it is REALLY appreciated.
    "Study astronomy and physics if you desire to comprehend the relation between the world and G-d's management of it." - RaMBaM (Maimonides), Guide For The Perplexed

Quote Originally Posted by Aliyah1995 View Post
    NewsGuy, thanks for your hard work on maintaining this forum. I'm sure you are doing a lot of work behind the scenes than the rest of us don't know about. I hope I am not the first one to say it is REALLY appreciated.
    I second this sentiment. I have been an Admin/Mod on another board and I know that the preponderance of what you do is done below the radar and unheralded.

A personal thankQ.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

Thanks for the kind words. You're both very welcome!

And thanks for your excellent contributions to the forum and to pro-Israel advocacy. It makes this place feel like home to me, to the other mods, and to all of our new and long-time members. Our community is second to none!

Keep up the good work Newsguy. In time they will learn that no matter how stubborn they are about doing us harm we are more stubborn about living our life in dignity no matter what they dream up and what they do.
    Idealism increases in direct proportion to one's distance from the problem.
    Author: John Galsworthy 1867-1933, British Novelist, Playwright

Right on, Reffo!

Fine summary, NewsGuy. Thank you mods/admin for your hard work. It can't be easy to be such a gracious host, while doing your best to maintain security for all involved.
    Its also doubtful that the onslaught will ever let up.

Thread Information