Thread: Arab IDF soldier: Proud to serve my country

Arab IDF soldier: Proud to serve my country

Way to go Shirin and Shlian family!

Can a person be both Arab and Zionist? The answer appears to be yes.

Ask Shirin Shlian, a 20-year-old IDF soldier from one of the Galilee's Arab villages, whose job in the Israeli army is to encourage high school students to enlist and better yet, to join combat units.

While many Jewish youngsters are doing their best to evade military service, the story of the Shlian family sounds pretty unbelievable: Shirin isn't the only one serving in the IDF her brother is a major in a combat unit and another brother served in the Border Guard....
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...175052,00.html

Re: Arab IDF soldier: Proud to serve my country

I guess she is Christian... but in any case, way to go, Shirin!

Quote Originally Posted by Kachah View Post
    I guess she is Christian... but in any case, way to go, Shirin!
    Actually a hefty percentage of the Muslim Bedouins and several Circassians serve in the IDF. Also the Arabic-speaking Druze community is drafted into the IDF just as Jews are.

Here is a link to an article about another Arab Muslim woman in the IDF:

History is being made in the Israel Air Force. A female Arab soldier has joined the IAF’s elite Airborne Combat Search and Rescue Unit 669, for the very first time in this illustrious unit’s history.

The soldier currently serves as a medic with the unit, and is also expected to soon receive training to become an airborne medic.

Unit 669 is considered one of the IDF’s premier elite units. Its main function is to rescue and extricate wounded soldiers from combat zones, under heavy enemy fire in most cases. The unit also often helps rescue civilians injured during various catastrophic incidents.

Seeing as the unit is typically involved in sensitive, and highly classified, IDF operations, soldiers serving in this unit require an extremely high security classification.

A Muslim soldier has consequently never served in this unit in either an administrative or combat capacity, that is until the aforementioned Muslim medic managed to circumvent this barrier as well.

The female soldier in question, a resident of an Arab village in northern Israel, volunteered to serve in the IDF, though not obligated to do so. She completed her medic training course with top honors, and was immediately placed with unit 669. The unit was stunned to learn of her Muslim origins, and an investigation later revealed that an error was made concerning her security classification.

In spite of this error, the unit’s commander insisted that the medic remain with the unit because of her truly exceptional skills. The soldier will even attend training to become an airborne medic this July. She could very well make history by becoming the first Muslim airborne medic in IDF history.
    http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...527584,00.html

Here is a link to an article about another Arab Muslim woman in the IDF:
    A couple of pertinent points I might raise here. If the father arranges a marriage with some family that is not so pro Israel where would her loyalties lie and could it compromise Israels security?
    If an arab IDF solier was kidnapped for a hostage/ prisoner swap would this actually put greater pressure on the government to resolve the issue quicker than it did with Shalit?
    Historically, any deals done between arabs and Jews have only been valid while it suited the arabs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pleepleus View Post
    Actually a hefty percentage of the Muslim Bedouins and several Circassians serve in the IDF. Also the Arabic-speaking Druze community is drafted into the IDF just as Jews are.
    Yeah, I am aware. I just guessed in your first link as they never mentioned her religion - and the name doesn't sound Moslem of course.
    Anyway, I admire these people personally but I can also see how having a soldier like that under your command becomes an extraodinary responsibility.

Thread Information