I would like to hear from Israeli experts exactly what options Israel has in the coming war with Iran et. al. (et. al. being defined as "who else becomes involved").
Let's assume that Israel attacks Iran in March/April. They would need to fly multiple air missions to hit Iranian air defences before they can really attack the missile sites. I would imagine that Saudi Arabia, Jordan and Iraq would not do anything as Israel crosses their airspace, but the logisticstill boggle the mind.
1. Does Israel have any SCUD-like capability in which they could launch ballistic conventional missiles to do some of the hard work?
2. Do they have land and air-based cruise missiles for the same reason?
3. I assume they have subs which would be included...do they have cruise missiles?
4. Do they have a air tanker force beyond a few tankers?
5. Can Iranian SCUDS reach Israel today?
Assuming that Hezbollah launches a massive attack against Israeli cities with their 3000+ missiles; does Israel have any real way to destroy Hezbollah short of invading Lebanon and Syria? What will the Russians do when/if Israel attacks Syria?
I do believe that Israel will do everything they can to get the US to attack Iran, before they attack Iran. My guess however, is that the US will NOT join in on the initial attack but will do everything after the attack to keep the Gulf open; which may amount to about the same thing as if they had joined the attack. That is probably what Israel is banking on.
We have interesting interests at play here. Israel doesn't see the closure of the Gulf as a strategic threat, while the US (under Obama) doesn't see Iran getting nukes as a strategic threat.