Thread: Palestinians keep adding new preconditions to peace talks!

Palestinians keep adding new preconditions to peace talks!

First the Palestinians demanded Israel freeze all construction in Jewish towns and neighborhoods in Yesha and east Jerusalem. Then they demanded that Israel agree to the 1967 borders with mutually agreed adjustments. Now they are demanding all prisoners (including terrorists and murderers) be released before they will go back to negotiations.

If I kept coming up with excuse after excuse why I can't mow the lawn, my wife would eventually conclude that I really don't want to mow the lawn. I am going to go out on a limb here and conclude what the Palestinians really want is for negotiations to fail and for Israel to get all the blame.

The Palestinian Authority has set a number of conditions for the resumption of peace talks with Israel, Al Arabiya reported.

The conditions reportedly include the acceptance by Israel of a two-state solution based on the 1967 borders, with the possibility of a limited land swap, and a complete halt of settlement construction, including in East Jerusalem.

The conditions are also said to include the release of Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails.

According to the report, the conditions will be delivered to Israel by Jordan after they are reviewed by the United States...
    source: http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...srael-1.416226
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

"Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

Re: Palestinians keep adding new preconditions to peace talks!

The arab Palestinians just want to keep the status quo without being too obvious about it. When the only real income they have is aid from UNRWA, the last thing they want to do is create a situation where it is likely to stop. It is a tightrope they walk, a very tricky ballancing act. If they get statehood their aid stops, and yet if they appear to be the ones responsible for stalls in negotiations, it may stop for that reason too. If the UN was a credible body, there would be pressure on the PA to resolve the impasse , but as we see, it is nothing more than an agent to keep the valves open so that the west can be continually drained of its resources. Distraction from the actuality is maintained by creating the illusion that it is Israels intransigence.
    David Blain has serious competition.

Re: Palestinians keep adding new preconditions to peace talks!

Quote Originally Posted by dayag View Post
    If I kept coming up with excuse after excuse why I can't mow the lawn, my wife would eventually conclude that I really don't want to mow the lawn. I am going to go out on a limb here and conclude what the Palestinians really want is for negotiations to fail and for Israel to get all the blame.
    I have had the very same thought. It looks like Palestinian leaders are deliberately looking for conditions they know (or think they know) Israel will be unwilling to put on the table in the first place. And then they choose exactly these conditions to make them preconditions before negotiations even start. Unfortunately the rest of the world and particularly the UN is so antisemitic they will swallow it every time and then blame Israel for the failure to negotiate.
    You also saw in 2005 and before in 1999 that whenever there is a "danger" of negotiations actually leading anywhere, the Palestinians will find a way to break off and restart the circle of violence. Once again they can use the general antisemitism in the world to their advantage and before long any efforts made by Israel toward a peaceful solution will be belittled, ignored or forgotten by world opinion and we are back to the status quo of the "poor oppressed Palestinians".

Thread Information