Thread: US woman told to remove mezuzah – or get fined

US woman told to remove mezuzah – or get fined

Crosses on doors are ok, but mezuzot on doorposts are forbidden!

A Jewish woman from Connecticut was told by her condominium complex' management company that she must remove a mezuzah (a small parchment scroll rolled up in a case that is attached to Jewish homes' doors) from her doorframe or face a $50 fine per day, a local newspaper reported on Friday...

"It's not a decorative choice, or a choice at all when a condo association or anyone says that a mezuzah can’t be put on a doorpost or doorframe. Basically, they are telling the Jewish person that he or she cannot live there," he said.

Jones noted that the condominium association's act was in violation of the Federal Fair Housing Act. Some states, he noted, even legislated special laws protecting Jewish residents who affix mezuzahs on their doors. The contract signed by Cadranel, on the other hand, allows condo owners to place Christian symbols such as crosses or Christmas decorations on doors, but forbids the display of other symbols such as mezuzahs.
    source: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...210351,00.html
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

"Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

Re: US woman told to remove mezuzah – or get fined

This ugly monster seems to creep up in a different state in America from time to time. They had an incident like this in Miami, FL and another one in Chicago, Illinois. I don't remember what happened in Miami, but I believe the Chicago incident resulted in a special law protecting Jews who want to affix mezzuzot on their door posts.
    "Study astronomy and physics if you desire to comprehend the relation between the world and G-d's management of it." - RaMBaM (Maimonides), Guide For The Perplexed

That is very sad, but don't forget, crosses are for decorations on holidays only, and the war on any religious symbols, except Muslim, has been escalating in recent years.
    From crosses to manger scenes to saying Merry Christmas, to menorahs to mezuzahs.
    This is an onslaught on freedom OF religion.
    Jews and Christians must join ranks, not point fingers.

Madeline, freedom of religion is ok as long as it doesn't assume the freedom to push it down everyone elses throat...
    Last edited by dayag; 04-02-2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: religion bashing removed

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    That is very sad, but don't forget, crosses are for decorations on holidays only, and the war on any religious symbols, except Muslim, has been escalating in recent years.
    From crosses to manger scenes to saying Merry Christmas, to menorahs to mezuzahs.
    This is an onslaught on freedom OF religion.
    Jews and Christians must join ranks, not point fingers.
    Madeline, I want you to know that I have no problem with Christians putting a cross on their door, whether at the holidays or all year long. I just want the same right to put up a mezuzah.
    Last edited by dayag; 04-02-2012 at 03:12 PM.
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

"Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

Quote Originally Posted by dayag View Post
    Madeline, I want you to know that I have no problem with Christians putting a cross on their door, whether at the holidays or all year long. I just want the same right to put up a mezuzah.
    I assumed as much.
    Sadly, hypocrites and bigots are gnawing away, slowly and ever so determined, at everything that is dear to us.
    Its about time we stand up against it.

Update:

Connecticut State Senate Majority Leader Martin Looney is expected to announce legislation to protect citizens’ rights to display religious symbols.

Looney is scheduled to announce the legislation on Tuesday morning, joined by representatives of the Connecticut Regional Office of the Anti-Defamation League.

Barbara Cadranel, who recently settled a case with her condominium association in Stratford, Conn. over the ban on displaying a mezuzah on her apartment’s doorpost, will also meet with reporters at the news conference, according to reports...

The association earlier this month backed off its demand that Cadranel remove her mezuzah and also apologized.
    source: http://forward.com/articles/154555/c...lize-mezuzahs/

"Study astronomy and physics if you desire to comprehend the relation between the world and G-d's management of it." - RaMBaM (Maimonides), Guide For The Perplexed

Thread Information