Thread: Special IDF units preparing for mass Lebanon incursion if war breaks out with Hezboll

Hybrid View

Special IDF units preparing for mass Lebanon incursion if war breaks out with Hezboll

Interesting article in Haaretz. Relying primarily on the IAF last time was a mistake. Glad to see they are preparing for the inevitable.

Special IDF units preparing for mass Lebanon incursion if war breaks out with Hezbollah
    Ground forces are expected to contribute much more than in 2006, when Israel relied mainly on the IAF, which would entail much more intense urban warfare....

The IDF has been trying to improve its performance if hostilities resume, but so has Hezbollah. The Shi'ite organization has built fortified lines with underground command posts and improved operational capacity. Its rockets are hidden in better-camouflaged launching pads...

Yahalom soldiers, along with the men and dogs of the IDF's Oketz canine unit, finished a long training session last week.

"It's not patrols or raids on Palestinians we're simulating here, but a full-fledged war," says Oketz's commander, who gave his name as Sivan.

One of Oketz's main tasks is to distinguish between militants and uninvolved civilians.

"Our dogs know how to spare civilians and home in on terrorists," says Sivan, a captain. "How do they? That's our secret."
    source: http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...ollah-1.423178
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

"Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

Re: Special IDF units preparing for mass Lebanon incursion if war breaks out with Hez

Relying primarily on the IAF last time was a mistake

============================================

I disagree, using the IAF was the right move, infortunately not enough bombs were dropped on the enemy for them to be effective.
    Why risk our precious peoples lives going into lebanon on foot, when you can bomb hezbollah into submission.

But as usual, the IDF must always be the most moral army on earth, so using bombs to destroy hezbollah is out of the question right?
    "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time"
    Abraham Lincoln

God laughs at the judgment of the wicked
    Psalms 37:13

Re: Special IDF units preparing for mass Lebanon incursion if war breaks out with Hez

Quote Originally Posted by JerichoMissile View Post
    Relying primarily on the IAF last time was a mistake

============================================

I disagree, using the IAF was the right move, infortunately not enough bombs were dropped on the enemy for them to be effective.
    Why risk our precious peoples lives going into lebanon on foot, when you can bomb hezbollah into submission.

But as usual, the IDF must always be the most moral army on earth, so using bombs to destroy hezbollah is out of the question right?
    Dropping more bombs from the air was not the answer. Southern Lebanon is very hilly and riddled with caves where these rockets were safely hidden. The bombing campaign did not come close to stopping the Katyushas.

Critics of General Halutz and of the Israel government of Prime Minister Ehud Olmert have said the military relied too heavily on air power and delayed too long sending in ground troops in the numbers needed to push back the Hezbollah fighters and supporters who were firing Katyusha rockets into Israel. Critics have also said that the military should be led by a ground forces commander — General Halutz spent his career in the air force — and that reserves were not called up in time, were badly trained and equipped, and often faced contradictory orders.
    source: http://www.israelnewsagency.com/danh...877011707.html
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

"Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

Instead of risking the lives of young IDF soldiors to push back hezbollah fighters firing rockets from southern gaza, couldnt it be a better idea to send a few dozen unmanned predator drones into southern lebanon and directly target the launching sites, i know this is new technology, but isnt israel all about hi tech stuff now days, so maybe sending in remote controlled drones is the answer to the targetted killings of hezbollah operatives firing rocktets in the next israel-lebanon war
    , if one crashes its still cheaper than the health costs associated treating a badly injured IDF soldior
    "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time"
    Abraham Lincoln

God laughs at the judgment of the wicked
    Psalms 37:13

Quote Originally Posted by JerichoMissile View Post
    Instead of risking the lives of young IDF soldiors to push back hezbollah fighters firing rockets from southern gaza, couldnt it be a better idea to send a few dozen unmanned predator drones into southern lebanon and directly target the launching sites, i know this is new technology, but isnt israel all about hi tech stuff now days, so maybe sending in remote controlled drones is the answer to the targetted killings of hezbollah operatives firing rocktets in the next israel-lebanon war
    , if one crashes its still cheaper than the health costs associated treating a badly injured IDF soldior
    A few dozen predator drones? Hezbollah has 10s of thousands of missiles hidden in caves and elsewhere all across Lebanon. The katyushas can be pulled out of hiding and fired quickly.

Relying on air power failed in southern Lebanon and General Halutz lost his job as a result. The IDF knows its capabilities and is correctly preparing for a ground invasion.

A Katyusha launch. Also known as "Stalin's organ", the Katyushas are relatively cheap, easy to operate (with virtually no setup time) and can be used in proximity to Lebanese civilians, thus, they're ideal for an organization like the Hezbollah.
    source: http://www.sciencebits.com/Katyusha

Thread Information