Thread: California Bans Kosher for Passover Coca-Cola

California Bans Kosher for Passover Coca-Cola

Switching from corn syrup to sugar makes Coke a carcinogen?!

Kosher for Passover Coca-Cola has been barred from California.

California’s new state laws on toxic chemicals are keeping kosher for Passover Coke out of the state, a company spokesman told the San Gabriel Valley Tribune.

Coke was required to change the way it manufactures caramel due to the high levels of the chemical 4-methylimidazole, or 4-MEI, which California has listed as a carcinogen under its new guidelines. The manufacturing changes in California affected the kosher for Passover status of the cola, according to reports...
    source: http://forward.com/articles/154464/c...ver-coca-cola/
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

"Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

Re: California Bans Kosher for Passover Coca-Cola

Meh, just take out the toxic stuff and leave the corn syrup to be corn syrup, and all is well.

Considering my wife wants me to give up Coke (cutting down to one bottle a week for Shabbat was the best I could do), she would be on California's side on this one (even if only for a week)
    "Study astronomy and physics if you desire to comprehend the relation between the world and G-d's management of it." - RaMBaM (Maimonides), Guide For The Perplexed

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Meh, just take out the toxic stuff and leave the corn syrup to be corn syrup, and all is well.
    We can't have the corn syrup in Coke during Passover. That's why they switch to regular sugar. This isn't all Coca Cola, merely the special Kosher for Passover Cokes.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliyah1995 View Post
    Considering my wife wants me to give up Coke (cutting down to one bottle a week for Shabbat was the best I could do), she would be on California's side on this one (even if only for a week)
    That's funny. My wife and I agreed to limit my Cokes to Shabbat as well, but I can drink them with each meal on that day. Also on Holidays. It is such a struggle.
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

"Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

Quote Originally Posted by dayag View Post
    We can't have the corn syrup in Coke during Passover. That's why they switch to regular sugar. This isn't all Coca Cola, merely the special Kosher for Passover Cokes.
    Do you mind my asking what the difference is? Both are basically processed sugars.
    Meat and Dairy and such is fairly obvious to me, but not this.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Do you mind my asking what the difference is? Both are basically processed sugars.
    Meat and Dairy and such is fairly obvious to me, but not this.
    It is not the final result, but the sources of these sugars that causes the distinction.

All Jews are forbidden Chametz [leavened grains (barley, oats, rye, spelt, wheat) that have been leavened (come into contact with moisture and allowed to allowed to ferment or rise)] during Passover.

Ashkenazi (Northern European) Jews are also prohibited Kitniyot (rice, buckwheat/kasha, millet, beans, lentils, peas, sesame seeds, mustard, corn, green beans, snow peas, sugar-snap peas, chickpeas, soybeans, sunflower and poppy seeds) for three reasons:

1. Kitniyot are harvested and processed in the same manner as chametz.

2. They are ground into flour and baked just like chametz [so people may mistakenly believe that if they can eat kitniyot, they can also eat chametz].

3. It may have chametz grains mixed into it [so people who eat kitniyot may inadvertently be eating chametz].

source: http://www.30minuteseder.com/cook.html

Quote Originally Posted by dayag View Post
    It is not the final result, but the sources of these sugars that causes the distinction.

All Jews are forbidden Chametz [leavened grains (barley, oats, rye, spelt, wheat) that have been leavened (come into contact with moisture and allowed to allowed to ferment or rise)] during Passover.

Ashkenazi (Northern European) Jews are also prohibited Kitniyot (rice, buckwheat/kasha, millet, beans, lentils, peas, sesame seeds, mustard, corn, green beans, snow peas, sugar-snap peas, chickpeas, soybeans, sunflower and poppy seeds) for three reasons:

1. Kitniyot are harvested and processed in the same manner as chametz.

2. They are ground into flour and baked just like chametz [so people may mistakenly believe that if they can eat kitniyot, they can also eat chametz].

3. It may have chametz grains mixed into it [so people who eat kitniyot may inadvertently be eating chametz].

source: http://www.30minuteseder.com/cook.html

Thank you. Now it makes perfect sense.

Thanks, as well... I, too, was a tad baffled. One learns something new everyday... very interesting!

Speaking as an Ashkenazi Jew, I just want to say that I wish I was Sephardic!

Thread Information