Thread: Israeli Forces Ready To Thwart Fly-in Protest

Israeli Forces Ready To Thwart Fly-in Protest

Israel is a sovereign nation with the right to control entry into the country. They are under no obligation to admit enemies into the country so that they can make anti-Israel propaganda. Like Gunter Grass, let them vent their spleens from thousands of kilometers away.

Hundreds of police and special forces will converge on Ben-Gurion Airport to block the entry of pro-Palestinian activists on Sunday, but human rights activists say the airport has no authority to deny entry to anyone intending to visit the Palestinian territories.

Hundreds of police officers, most of them in plainclothes and unarmed, will await the so-called fly-in at Ben-Gurion on Sunday, while special forces will deploy outside the terminal.

The foreign, transportation, interior and public security ministries are working together to thwart the protest with as little commotion as possible, in a bid to prevent the activists from achieving a public relations victory, officials said.

The Interior Ministry has given airlines the names of activists who are denied entry to Israel and told them that if any activists arrive, the airlines will have to fly them back at the companies’ expense.

Last summer Israel thwarted a similar fly-in, when around 200 activists were not allowed to board flights at their country of origin. Others were detained at Ben-Gurion Airport...
    source: http://forward.com/articles/154757/i...ly-in-protest/
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

"Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

Trial Membership

Re: Israeli Forces Ready To Thwart Fly-in Protest

Excellent!

Trial Membership

Lufthansa notified airflotilla2 participants that their tickets have been canceled!
    http://israelitkan.ning.com/profiles...cipants-that-t

".....but human rights activists say the airport has no authority to deny entry to anyone intending to visit the Palestinian territories."

Now that airline after airline are cancelling flights, I asked someone reasonably 'in the know' what might lie behind these cancellations. This is what he believed was likely to have happened:

Apparently, there is an international convention that makes airlines responsible for ensuring that the passengers they carry will be allowed entry at their point of arrival. Visas would likely fall into this category. A passenger cannot be said to have arrived at that point until they are through border control. Last year Israel allowed the flytilla lot past this control, negating the responsibility of the airline. They were detained until seats on flights back to their countries of origin could be found, with Israel having to foot the bill for the tickets.

This year, however, Israel has informed the airlines that flytilla passengers will be held before the border control point and will therefore remain the responsibility of the airline. The airlines would be obliged to cancel the tickets of genuine passengers in order to find seats for the detained-before-border-control-point, flytilla lot. Finding seats for them - at the cost of cancelling those of genuine passengers - was likely deemed a poor business choice, with possible compensation issues. i.e. Genuine passengers would very likely find out the whole story - which would include the irresponsibility of the airline concerned who, despite a) knowing that Israel would deny entry and b) knowing that this would impact on genuine passengers, nevertheless flew the flytilla passengers into Tel Aviv. Definitely not good business!

So, the human right's lot have got it wrong. Now there's a surprise!

Having read my post (above), the third paragraph reads as if this is a known position; it isn't. It's what my 'reasonably in the know' friend has deduced.

Thread Information