Thread: Methodists reject motion to divest from Israel

Methodists reject motion to divest from Israel

Thank you United Methodists!

WASHINGTON - The general conference of the United Methodist Church voted not to divest from three companies that trade with Israel.

Two-thirds of the approximately 1,000 delegates to the conference voted Wednesday in Tampa, Fla., against a motion to divest from Caterpillar, Motorola Solutions and Hewlett-Packard...
    source: http://www.jpost.com/JewishWorld/Jew...aspx?id=268651
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

"Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

Re: Methodists reject motion to divest from Israel

Thank them for what? Had they decided to divest it wouldn't have affected Israel a bit. Nor would it have made Caterpillar any poorer because divestment means that their stocks would just be bought by someone else. They have been threatening for the past five years yet Caterpillar wouldn't bulge.

It could have hurt the Methodist retirees though. The stock has been climbing in the past few years and last year has reached an all time high. Imagine they reinvest in a failing venture, like the West Bank for instance with its unbridled corruption and where there are no guarantees.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Thank them for what? Had they decided to divest it wouldn't have affected Israel a bit. Nor would it have made Caterpillar any poorer because divestment means that their stocks would just be bought by someone else. They have been threatening for the past five years yet Caterpillar wouldn't bulge.

It could have hurt the Methodist retirees though. The stock has been climbing in the past few years and last year has reached an all time high. Imagine they reinvest in a failing venture, like the West Bank for instance with its unbridled corruption and where there are no guarantees.
    I am thanking them for not jumping on the anti-Israel bandwagon which has become popular in some churches.
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

"Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

Many denominations t/o the US are bowing to political pressure, so this is good news.

Thread Information