Thread: Finland's Jews advised not to wear kippa

Finland's Jews advised not to wear kippa

Either a Police crackdown and harsh punishment of anti-Semitic incidents or failing that aliyah are preferable to Jews being forced to hide themselves like Marranos.

The recommendation was revealed by the security officer of the Jewish community in Helsinki in an interview to Yle, Finland's national public service broadcasting company in the Swedish language.

The security officer added that the community faced six to 10 anti-Semitic incidents a month.

Yaron Nadbornik, president of Helsinki's Jewish community, said in response that the advice was not issued by the community leaders but rather given by the security officer to several individuals in private conversations...

Only 1,500 Jews live in Finland today, many of them descendants of the Jewish soldiers who served in the Russian army in Finland in the mid-19th century, when Finland was an autonomous grand duchy of the czarist empire...

Besides the Helsinki house of worship complete with Jewish school, there is also a synagogue in the western city of Turku, where some 200 Jews live.
    source: http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7...302376,00.html
    "If I forget thee, O Jerusalem, let my right hand wither, let my tongue cleave to my palate if I do not remember you, if I do not set Jerusalem above my highest joy." (Ps. 137: 5-7)"

"Any generation in which the Temple is not built, it is as if it had been destroyed in their times" (Yerushalmi, Yoma 1a).

Re: Finland's Jews advised not to wear kippa

I wish a good and productive week to all IF hosts and guests .
    In Jewish tradition the week ends with first stars on Saturday night and after the Havdala blessing dividing brtween Shabbath שבת and weekdays - ימי חול
    But this is not just a new week - it's also marking a new moon , and a new hope along with the upcoming Balak weekly portion of Torah
    A historical lesson to all those who still nurture a vain hope to destroy the Jewish People
    They come to curse and finally bless .. or the curse strikes them back
    "How goodly are your tents . Jacob , your dwellings ,oh, Israel
    Shavua Tov

Peter Rotberg
    Israel.

Thread Information