Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The EU anti-Israel sentiment exposed

IsraelAdvocate

The EU anti-Israel sentiment exposed

Newsmaker: View from the Left
    By MELISSA RADLER

"It is an open secret within the European Parliament and the European Commission that EU aid to the Palestinian Authority has not been spent correctly," Ilka Schroeder said during a recent address in New York.

The parliament, in which she has served in since 1999, "does not intend to verify whether European taxpayers' money could have been used to finance anti-Semitic murderous attacks. Unfortunately, this fits well with European policy in this area."

Nearly a year ago, Schroeder, 25, a German Green who began her political career protesting the war in Kosovo and denouncing globalization, set her sights on an issue long shunned by radical Left: the diverting of some of the 250 million in annual aid for the Palestinian people to corrupt officials and terrorist groups bent on Israel's destruction.

Faced with strident opposition from her fellow anti-racism activists, whom she derides as "simple-minded anti-Semites," and EU External Relations Commissioner Chris Patten, whom she has accused of "winking approval of terrorist attacks funded by the EU," Schroeder, along with French parliamentarian Francois Zimeray, nonetheless managed to initiate an inquiry by the European Anti-Fraud Office (OLAF) into the issue.

OLAF's most current public statement on the matter was a mid-November denial that European funds have financed Yasser Arafat's Al-Aksa Martyrs Brigades.

For Schroeder, the funding issue points to a larger problem: Europe's misuse of the Middle East conflict to challenge US hegemony.

"The primary goal of the EU is the internationalization of the conflict in order to underline the need for its own mediating role," she argues, warning that renewed European calls for a multinational force in the region - heard most recently by the head of the largest political bloc in the parliament - combined with heightened levels of anti-Semitism in Europe and the Arab world, could spell disaster for Jews everywhere.

"The Palestinians are playing the ugly role of being the cannon fodder for Europe's hidden war against the US," she adds.

While Schroeder's call for accountability in EU funding was supported by nearly one quarter of the 626-member parliament, she appears grimly convinced that her efforts to expose anti-Zionism, which she sees as Europe's polite version of anti-Semitism, have come to naught. Embraced by Jewish groups in Europe and the US, Schroeder is now visiting Israel for the first time for further inquiry into her continent's role in the region.

"There is no difference in the consciousness of an average member of the European Parliament and an average German peace demonstrator, and I consider this to be a mixture of naivete, moralism, anti-Americanism, anti-Semitism, and anti-Zionism and an altogether serious danger," she said during her US speaking tour. "It is against these trends that my efforts are directed."

Why is Palestine such a popular cause in Europe?
    The Palestinian cause is popular because Palestinians are seen by most of the left-wing as the classical victims of imperial world interests. Also, it fits in well with anti-Semitic and anti-Zionist ideology, whereby you can easily criticize Israel for everything it does militarily. Especially for Germans, it's important to see that Germany is not trying to get rid of its history but to instrumentalize the Shoah. That Israel exists is still kind of an outcome of the Shoah; it's still something that reminds the world of what Germany did. In picturing Israelis and Jews as the perpetrators - it's very popular to hear in Europe, the Israelis have learned nothing, they behave like the Nazis - it's an export of history. It's the old anti-Semitism expressed in different ways.

How was your role in initiating the OLAF inquiry greeted by the Left?
    They thought I was absolutely crazy and they couldn't understand why anybody would stand up for Israel. It has been hardest to make my point among the Left because they are the most into anti-Semitism and anti-Zionism. For me it's disappointing, because I believe the more left-wing people are, the more they should be interested in some kind of liberation and emancipation. For me, the vast majority in Palestine is very much against those aims and is very much regressive. I can't understand why [the Left] is blind to this, and why they are so blind to the history of Israel and the Jews and anti-Semitism.

Since the Holocaust, Germany has been a friend to Israel in the international arena. Do you see support for Israel starting to erode?
    The conservatives have been friendlier, but they had a different calculation. They wanted to gain a more powerful Germany, but they wanted to do it through good relations with the US. Their friendship with Israel is more strategic, and this relative support is gone.

In Germany, people have had to hide it [anti-Israel sentiment] a bit. Now people are coming out and saying, I'm the taboo breaker, but there was never any taboo. Germans just say this to make themselves feel like they're the victims of some kind of Jewish censorship.

It seems that some things never change.
    No, and they're getting worse. This is what I see happening in the long term in Germany. Of course in Europe, France and Belgium are much worse when it comes to Israel, but Germany is not a real friend of Israel.

What do you think of the post-Oslo peace initiatives: the road map, Geneva Accord, etc.?
    In the road map and the Quartet, you can see the rising influence of Europe, and also of Germany, and the push to establish itself as the neutral mediator in the conflict. The road map was a real success for the Europeans and the Palestinians, and having analyzed the role of Europe, I can say this is a real danger for Israel.

The parties are not lacking a plan [for peace]; I think there is just no plan for people living in the Palestinian territories being incited by anti-Semitism, then wanting to found their own state. As long as so many countries support the Palestinian cause being so anti-Semitic and so directed against Israel, and the international scene is shifting against Israel more and more, we have a problem. Of course, I should tell you this should all change, anti-Semitism should stop, Israel should have its security, but I just don't see that happening. If anti-Semitism could exist after the Shoah, it's clear it's not going to go away tomorrow.

Why do Europeans seem unable to make the connection between terror in Israel and terror on their own soil?
    Europe has much better relations with countries also with strong Islamist forces, so they don't see it as much as a threat as the US does. Of course, if you see the comparison between how they treated radical Kurdish organizations that were more worker orientated, when terrorism really hit them hard they sent people back to Turkey even though it was clear they'd be jailed, tortured, or worse.

The terror against Israel must also be seen in the context that Europeans don't want to see the Jews and Israelis as victims. After one of the suicide bombings in Israel, [EU Commissioner Chris] Patten once said, "I'm sorry for the families of the victims of the suicide bombings, as much as I'm sorry for the Palestinians who lost their members of families." He also says the bombings must be seen in the context of the Middle East, and then he points to Israeli actions...

On September 11, Europeans saw it as an attack against Western civilization, but very quickly, within a few weeks, it shifted into some kind of joy that the unchallenged world power was finally hit. Maybe in the Left there is a standard argument that of course it wasn't nice, but then there was this "but," and the "but" was that it was the US's fault. In other words, what should people do besides blow themselves up.

How did the United States come to be so reviled by Europe?
    Anti-Americanism is nothing new; it's an old story, but now it's heated up. [US President George W.] Bush is a person who can be used more easily for proving anti-American stereotypes, but still I would say it doesn't depend on what the American government does. It's the same with anti-Semitism. It doesn't depend on the action of Jews; it's there and it won't disappear if you take another policy.

Very powerful article.

100% true both in regard to the anti-American and anti-Semitic Left, and also with regard to old European hatred of Jews.

Interestingly, Europe was able to victimize the Jews because the Jews were (and still are) a non-violent, gentle minority. On the other hand, the Muslims many of whom are a violent, hateful bunch, are no small minority in Europe and will no doubt overtake the Europeans soon enough. When that happens, Europe as we know it will be finished as a free Western society. That may be Europe's just punishment for their anti-Semitism and sponsoring of Muslim terrorism.
    "All we are saying is give peace a chance." - John Lennon

IsraelAdvocate
    Originally posted by NewsGuy
    Very powerful article.

100% true both in regard to the anti-American and anti-Semitic Left, and also with regard to old European hatred of Jews.

Interestingly, Europe was able to victimize the Jews because the Jews were (and still are) a non-violent, gentle minority. On the other hand, the Muslims many of whom are a violent, hateful bunch, are no small minority in Europe and will no doubt overtake the Europeans soon enough. When that happens, Europe as we know it will be finished as a free Western society. That may be Europe's just punishment for their anti-Semitism and sponsoring of Muslim terrorism.
    I agree and will add to this comment. Not only is it just punishment, but in France, where we already see signs of Arab discontent, we will likley soon see Arab Suicide Bombers, blowing up restaurants that serve the finest of French Cuisine. Imagine, 20-30 killed and hundreds wounded of France's "enlightened leftist students", killed while chatting away about how evil and neo-colonialist is the state of Israel. That would be just punishment.

And let's not forget the 3000 French who died mysteriously last summer from "Overheated Exhaustion".. My oh my, the harsh French climate. How the guilty suffer.

ibrodsky
    The loss of Europe to the jihadists is neither funny nor desirable.

Consider the consequences. If Islamist ideology takes over Europe, Europe will be back to where it was during Nazi Germany's heyday. Arab racism, fascism, and ignorance will be the dominant ideology. Let's not forget that France and the UK are both nuclear powers with advanced delivery systems.

I believe the UK will avert disaster just in the nick of time. Though there are no guarantees. We could find ourselves once again serving as the UK's lifeline as she prepares to fend off a continent-based Islamist assault aided by a domestic fifth column (largely recruited in prisons and consisting of convicted killers and rapists).

It would also be a disaster for Western Civilization. The barbarians will destroy all traces of Europe's great philosophers, scientists, and artists. Of course, everything Europeans need to know is contained in the Koran. The great architecture, tourist sites, and works of art will be destroyed just as the giant Buddhas of Afghanistan were destroyed.

The one thing we are lacking is leaders with the courage to state what we are fighting. We are not at war with generic terrorists, we are at war with the Islamist Death Cult.

The one consolation is that while Islamists might inherit advanced weaponry, their inherently backwards culture and outlook will prevent them from keeping up with the US. The Koran is no guide to advanced engineering. We will always have the means to crush them. But will we have the will?

IsraelAdvocate
    Originally posted by ibrodsky

Consider the consequences. If Islamist ideology takes over Europe, Europe will be back to where it was during Nazi Germany's heyday. Arab racism, fascism, and ignorance will be the dominant ideology. Let's not forget that France and the UK are both nuclear powers with advanced delivery systems.

I believe the UK will avert disaster just in the nick of time. Though there are no guarantees. We could find ourselves once again serving as the UK's lifeline as she prepares to fend off a continent-based Islamist assault aided by a domestic fifth column (largely recruited in prisons and consisting of convicted killers and rapists).

It would also be a disaster for Western Civilization. The barbarians will destroy all traces of Europe's great philosophers, scientists, and artists. Of course, everything Europeans need to know is contained in the Koran. The great architecture, tourist sites, and works of art will be destroyed just as the giant Buddhas of Afghanistan were destroyed.

The one thing we are lacking is leaders with the courage to state what we are fighting. We are not at war with generic terrorists, we are at war with the Islamist Death Cult.

The one consolation is that while Islamists might inherit advanced weaponry, their inherently backwards culture and outlook will prevent them from keeping up with the US. The Koran is no guide to advanced engineering. We will always have the means to crush them. But will we have the will?
    Very good argument. A few areas I disagree with -

1. Europeans will allow Arabs to take over.
    Even if they become the numerical majority, Christian Europeans will not stand for Arab Baboons to take political power. Forget Jacques Chirac's Arabophilia. When challenged, the Europeans will resort to "extrememe measures" of the type seen during WWII and the Bosnian war (Srebrenica is a prime expample of what Euros would do against Isalm).

2. If Arabs had atomic bomb.
    You make the assumption that they would either know how to fire them, or have the R&D to advance the technology. They have neither. For all the threats against Iraq, where, afterall are Saddam Hussein' s WMD? Nowhere to be found.

3. Arabs would be able to convert Europeans to Islam.
    Unlikely to happen. The Ottoman Turks tried centuries ago, and failed miserably. Arabs are not turks, they can accomplish even less.

4. Arab league is 22 members long, 3,000 miles wide, 300,000,000 in population, and Billions of Dollars rich in oil revenue. If they can't, on thier own, pull themselves together, get out of poverty and make a world power out of all that territory, people, and money, what can they possibly accomplish in Europe?

Pavel
    Originally posted by NewsGuy
    ... the Muslims many of whom are a violent, hateful bunch, are no small minority in Europe and will no doubt overtake the Europeans soon enough. When that happens, Europe as we know it will be finished as a free Western society. That may be Europe's just punishment for their anti-Semitism and sponsoring of Muslim terrorism.
    Just punishment?! Wait, not all Europeans are anti-Semits and Muslim terrorist sponsors. I hate the idea of Europe being ruled by Muslims or Muslim poodles like Chirac or Prodi. What can I do? Blow up the European Parliament or what?

Gilgamesh
    Originally posted by Pavel
    Just punishment?! Wait, not all Europeans are anti-Semits and Muslim terrorist sponsors. I hate the idea of Europe being ruled by Muslims or Muslim poodles like Chirac or Prodi. What can I do? Blow up the European Parliament or what?
    You are Check, right?
    What you have to do, is simply to gaurd your own country. As Check, you have a right for a national country and national rights, and national culture of your own. Check for Check people.

It is a sad fact, that not all national minorities, behave as good and as contributive, as we Jews. There is a long long way till the Arabs will behave 1% as we Jews are behaving toward our hosts. We do keep our own culture for our self, and never attempting to force convert people into our civilization, like the Arabs are doing. You have a right to demand this and protect you national and cultural rights.

By knowing and accepting this, you are half way toward a solution.

Ahava
    And what should I, as a Jew, do, Gil?
    (I know your answer, Israel here I come )

Pavel
    Originally posted by Gilgamesh
    You are Check, right?
    What you have to do, is simply to gaurd your own country. As Check, you have a right for a national country and national rights, and national culture of your own. Check for Check people.

It is a sad fact, that not all national minorities, behave as good and as contributive, as we Jews. There is a long long way till the Arabs will behave 1% as we Jews are behaving toward our hosts. We do keep our own culture for our self, and never attempting to force convert people into our civilization, like the Arabs are doing. You have a right to demand this and protect you national and cultural rights.

By knowing and accepting this, you are half way toward a solution.
    Thanks, Gilgamesh for your reply.

I used to be optimistic about EU, but in recent years I became quite skeptical - mostly because of the pro-Palestinian views of many EU leaders.

In the referendum last year I voted against the EU entry just because of this reason. I believe the EU policies are myopic and possibly even self-destructive.

Have a good shabbat.

BTW, correct spelling is "Czech", but it does not matter too much.

David_in_NYC
    The world would do well to view any attempt to unify Europe with trepidation.

Olivier
    Originally posted by IsraelAdvocate
    I agree and will add to this comment. Not only is it just punishment, but in France, where we already see signs of Arab discontent, we will likley soon see Arab Suicide Bombers, blowing up restaurants that serve the finest of French Cuisine. Imagine, 20-30 killed and hundreds wounded of France's "enlightened leftist students", killed while chatting away about how evil and neo-colonialist is the state of Israel. That would be just punishment.
    if you want to know where the anti-israel sentiment in europe comes from, just take into account your name is IsraelAdvocate and you post on israel forum. And you have plenty of persons reading what your monstruous wishes are.

Every time a bomb blows in europe, you celebrate. When Viera de mello was killed your cheered. Even on 911 i'm sure you where secretely happy (haha those lefty americans are going to really side with israel now).

All the people of your kind have no better ally than Ben Laden.

Originally posted by IsraelAdvocate
    And let's not forget the 3000 French who died mysteriously last summer from "Overheated Exhaustion".. My oh my, the harsh French climate.
    It's closer to 15.000 actually.

I was there I can tell you the heat was really terrible and lasted for weeks. But it's going to be worse in the future, Bush has killed Kyoto on global warming to make more money with his oil companies and satisfy corporate America... who needs bombings? we have Bush.

we have Bush.
    We have airconditioning.

minusthejihad
    HAHA! Thats great!

Hey Sir Lawrence, do you ever get tired of blaming all your problems on one Texan and a bunch of Joos, and worse, using the same old trite speaking points?

TheyAre
    Every time a bomb blows in europe, you celebrate. When Viera de mello was killed your cheered. Even on 911 i'm sure you where secretely happy (haha those lefty americans are going to really side with israel now).
    I'm sure that you'd like to rethink your statement.

The Second World War is indeed approaching... the first one (1914 - 1991) effectively eliminated Europe's position as center of the globe, and the second one is going to determine who comes next, the West or the Arab Middle East.

But there are fundamental advantages enjoyed by the West. We are far more spread out than the Islamists. Japan, Australia, Russia, the United States, Canada, all are basically Western bastions that the Islamists cannot conceivably hope to conquer. The only places in real danger are, of course, Israel, and Europe.

In the worst-case scenario, you'd have an Islamic Europe, Africa, and Southeast Asia arrayed against the rest of the world. Is that bad? India, Japan, Russia, Britain, America, Canada, Australia, and all the other "Western" countries, maybe even China. Can the Islamists defeat that in an open war?

Of course not.

But can we defeat them any other way than open war?

Nope. Hitler didn't stop until we blasted Germany into rubble and completely eradicated the Nazi regime. Islamists aren't going to stop unless obliterated in open warfare.

The war in Iraq, in this view, is either brilliant or a massive blunder. If Iraq can be made into a Western, Arab fortress against Islamists, then the war may be won through mostly peaceful means. If Iraq doesn't succeed, then the whole thing did nothing but waste lives and money that would have been better spent elsewhere.

The Iraq War may turn out to be the right war at the wrong time. We're going to be in open warfare against the Islamists sometime. The question is whether or not now is the right time.

And the world still remains silent
    By Rachel Raskin-Zrihen
    May 7, 2004

There are only a couple of possible explanations for why the world is not out even now, protesting the intentional murder of a pregnant woman and her four young daughters by Palestinian gunmen.

I think it's clear that had the shooters been Israeli soldiers and the victims a Palestinian family, millions of righteously indignant protesters would have hit the streets and the airwaves calling for the capture and punishment of the murderers and, no doubt, the immediate dismantling of "the Zionist entity."

They do that when a Palestinian civilian gets unintentionally caught in the crossfire. They do it when actual gunmen and terrorists are killed. They do it when fences are constructed to keep the killers out. They do it when terrorists' houses - their houses, not their families - are destroyed. They do not do it when defenseless Jewish women and children are gunned down in the street.

There are only a limited number of explanations for this - none of them very pleasant.

One must realize that we are talking about the intentional murder of a pregnant woman and four little girls. Someone had to take aim at and shoot an obviously pregnant woman and four small children ages 2 to 11. This was not a case of accidental collateral damage. This was a targeted killing. And, I'm sorry, but there is absolutely no moral equivalency between the targeted killing of an armed (or even an unarmed) terrorist mastermind, and the murder of an unarmed pregnant woman and her children, no matter how much certain people would like there to be. It is the difference not between apples and oranges, but between apples and skyscrapers.

Had the victims been any other pregnant woman and her children, practically anywhere else in the world, there would have been a deafening hew and cry.

So, either much of the world is OK with the Jews as victims or they have a very low opinion of Arabs.

What I mean is, that unless there is a collective understanding that Jews are unimportant, expendable or worse, justifiable targets, the only other explanation is that the world feels the Palestinian Arabs are simply incapable of civilized behavior. Unless the world is collectively thinking, "well, they're Arabs, what do you expect?" then we can explain the deafening silence over this atrocity only through worldwide, systemic and deeply entrenched anti-Semitism.

I'm not crazy about either explanation, but I think I hope it's the former, because there is some chance for the Arabs themselves to change that perception by behaving in a civilized manner, and by calling on their misguided brethren to do so, too.

The latter explanation, on the other hand, has terrifying and far-reaching implications that I'd prefer not to contemplate, and which people all over the world, in the United States in particular, are dismissing as impossible.

Unfortunately, those of us familiar with history know that dismissing unpleasantness out of hand doesn't make it go away. On the contrary, it allows it to fester and grow.

If the international acquiescence to or rationalization of the murder of that Jewish family isn't a function of anti-Semitism or a belief that no better behavior can be expected from Palestinian Arabs, then it can only be a fear, a terror as it were, that to speak out against the wholesale slaughter of innocent Jewish men, women and even children may bring the wrath of the proverbial Hun down upon the protester.

If that's it we're all doomed, of course, because that means the terrorists have already won.

(What make these murders even more horrendous, is the fact that the Arabs involved deliberately came up to the car afterwards and slaughtered the children at close range.)

=============================================
    Women For Israel's Tomorrow (Women in Green)
    POB 7352, Jerusalem 91072, Israel
    Tel: 972-2-624-9887 Fax: 972-2-624-5380
    mailto:michael@womeningreen.org
    http://www.womeningreen.org

To make a contribution via our secure server or through Paypal, go to: https://host5.apollohosting.com/wome.../donation.html

To subscribe to the Women in Green list,
    please send a blank email message to:
    list4-subscribe@womeningreen.org

To unsubscribe from the Women in Green list,
    please send a blank email message to:
    list4-unsubscribe@womeningreen.org

Thread Information