Thread: Jordan's Hassan: Sharon pragmatic, but cannot find a partner

Communication

Jordan's Hassan: Sharon pragmatic, but cannot find a partner

Last Update: 29/12/2003 15:03

Jordan's Hassan: Sharon pragmatic, but cannot find a partner

By Haaretz Service

Prince Hassan bin Talal, uncle of Jordan's Kind Abdullah and a former heir to the throne of the Hashemite kingdom, has told an Italian newspaper that he sees Prime Minister Ariel Sharon as a pragmatic man, who wants security for his people, but is unable to find a partner on the Palestinian side with whom to conduct negotiations.

In comments published Monday by La Stampa, Prince Hassan said that “Arafat is at a transitory stage, but, unfortunately, we can see the growing influence of Hamas and Hezbollah among the Palestinians."

Hassan, the younger brother of Jordan’s deceased monarch King Hussein, also said that “the Palestinians continue to talk about Palestinian unity. The Palestinian question has never been resolved. From my perspective, Jordan should include all the Palestinians, and Israel, Palestine and Jordan should enjoy the same sort of interdependence as there is in the Benelux countries.”

When asked whether he was planning on establishing a new political party, Prince Hassan replied that he preferred to start a political movement, at the center of the poetical spectrum. “There are Christian Democratic, so where should there not be Moslem Democrats,” he added.

Hassam said that there are currently three phobias afflicting the world: “anti-Semitism, anti-Arabism and anti-Americanism. This is because the Americans should not be talking about a new world order, but about a new international alliance for peace.”

http://www.haaretzdaily.com/hasen/spages/377281.html

Communication
    He also said this according to a Haaretz newsfalsh:

"Jordan`s Prince Hassan in interview in La Stampa: Jordan should absorb entire Palestinian population of territories"

I think what he's talking about is Jordan taking administative and military control of the territories for the Palestinian people, which would be a good thing because let's face it, the Palestinian leadership is either completely inept and corrupt in the case of the PA and Arafat, or entirely too extreme, in the case of Hamas et. al, for there to be peace at this time with Israel.

Prince Hassan bin Talal, uncle of Jordan's Kind Abdullah and a former heir to the throne of the Hashemite kingdom, has told an Italian newspaper that he sees Prime Minister Ariel Sharon as a pragmatic man, who wants security for his people, but is unable to find a partner on the Palestinian side with whom to conduct negotiations.

He just forgets to mention that no other Arab leader or party is capable of providing any kind of serious political party for Israel to deal with. German generals blamed it on Hitler - and the Arabs blame it all on Arafat. OLD NEWS!!!!!!!!!

Communication
    Originally posted by Mil

He just forgets to mention that no other Arab leader or party is capable of providing any kind of serious political party for Israel to deal with. German generals blamed it on Hitler - and the Arabs blame it all on Arafat. OLD NEWS!!!!!!!!!

Did you read what he said in my second post? Of course I have my doubts, despite what he says, that Jordan will step up to the plate on this one. What's the incentive for them to take on this mess again, especially given what happened in Jordan when Jordan did control the West Bank. It's much easier for them to dump the mess on Israel. But Israel is a predominately Jewish country, unlike Jordan. I really don't think that a Jewish country should be in charge of the territories. I think it should be an Arab country. And despite what any of the peace loving idiots think, the Palestinians can not govern themselves AT THIS POINT. The leadership is either too corrupt, too inept, or too extreme in their ideology and violent.

Posted by Communication:

I really don't think that a Jewish country should be in charge of the territories.

Niether should an Arab country. I think there should be a Palestinian state.

And despite what any of the peace loving idiots think, the Palestinians can not govern themselves AT THIS POINT.

They would be able to govern themselves just fine after they'll get a country.

The leadership is either too corrupt, too inept, or too extreme in their ideology and violent.

I agree - Israel will have a hell-of-a-neighbor. Hopefully Saddam's fate would clear some minds as to the consequences of a dictatorial rule.

Communication
    Mil,

Even diplomats from both Egypt and Jordan have admitted recently that the PA has lost control of the territories to the various terror organizations. I admit that it isn't likely that Jordan would be willing to resume control of the territories, but if there is a way that they could be persuaded, it is the only way, short of a single bi-national country, for there to be any possibility of a long-term solution to the conflict. At some point, the land simply won't hold everyone, and that is also true under a one-state solution. I was just reading an article today about the environmental affects of the growing population and Israel, despite all of her achievements and scientific advancements, ranks at the third world level for environmental conditions. And we want to continue to add to these existing problems a perpetual "war of the Muslims and Jewish wombs" and a push for more aliyah? It's just stupid.

Clearly Jordan and Egypt CREATED the territories in order to ship off their own underclasses. After the 6-day war both countries saw an opportunity to get rid of their (at that time) loudest, most dangerous people en masse. Neither country would ever make a move to take them back.

Look at the recent history of Jordan: 1951 The king is assassinated by a Palestinian at the al Aqsa mosque after making public statements that he is ready to accept the Jewish state. 19 years later (1970), 3 years after being cut loose by the Jordanians, the PLO moves to start a civil war inside Jordan and topple the govt. They are repulsed. Flash foward to today and 1500 people are turned back every day from the Allenby bridge into Jordan even though many of those people still or once held Jordanian passports.

No Jordan doesn't want the problem today anymore than it did in 1967.

Communication
    Jordan recently granted over 100,000 visas to Palestinians to work in Jordan. Why do you suppose Prince Hassan made those statements to the Italian press?

I think work permits are a band aid and probably the result of American and EU pressure.

Jordan STILL has to have the actual jobs to make the permits mean anything. Do they? I'm not so sure. Its GDP is 1/6th that of Israel. It's largest trade partner was Iraq, followed by the US. It's not clear that all those work permits are more than window dressing.

TDidier

Wink Mil Emile bravo

Mille et mille bravos!

My vote for MIL ! ! ! A new héro for palestinian's right to their land (and for israelian's security on their own)

Originally posted by Mil
    Posted by Communication:

I really don't think that a Jewish country should be in charge of the territories.

Niether should an Arab country. I think there should be a Palestinian state.

And despite what any of the peace loving idiots think, the Palestinians can not govern themselves AT THIS POINT.

They would be able to govern themselves just fine after they'll get a country.

The leadership is either too corrupt, too inept, or too extreme in their ideology and violent.

I agree - Israel will have a hell-of-a-neighbor. Hopefully Saddam's fate would clear some minds as to the consequences of a dictatorial rule.

Thread Information