Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Israeli Defence Forces

chrisjohn316

Israeli Defence Forces

Ok here are some guidlines about this thread.

This is NOT a discussion about the rights or wrongs of the IDF.

This is ONLY about providing USEFUL information and links to encourage and facilitate persons joining the IDF.

Do NOT post anti - IDF material here please! Start your own thread.

Ok I will start by this link to the IDF.

http://www.idf.il/newsite/english/main.stm

Please use English where ever possible.

Also as I am probably among those that know the least about the IDF I invite others to contribute positive information about the IDF, how and where to join, age and fitness criteria, types of jobs on offer.

I hold that it is the moral obligation of every man and woman person of Jewish faith, regardless of nationality, to have served in the IDF, with hopefully at least one tour of duty. Every man and woman that says they are a Jew have a moral obligation to have served Israel at the risk of their own lives.

Those persons that for one reason of another are not accepted by the IDF, are deemed in my view to have served, as they have stepped to the mark and have shown they are willing to do their part.

Please only provide USFUL information. I do not want to turn this into a debate. If you are against this, post somewhere else please.

I can recommend a book:

"Arab/Israeli Wars" by Haim Herzog.

"Warrior" by Ariel Sharon should be required reading for everyone. It may open your eyes. Though it doesn't focus exclusively on the Army it offers a fascinating view into the internal organizational and political dynamics of the Army.

chrisjohn316
    I want this to be like a help forum so please, if possible, give a related url to suggested readings and the like.

Cheers.

Werke

Black or Jewish?

So much for the 'promised land'. So much for the thousand of us who died trekking from Ethiopia to Sudan, living in terible unspeakable conditions during turbulent times in sub-saharan africa. So much for the faith and belief we had toward Israel and it's children. What do we get? Rejection, rejection and more rejection. Don't try and tell me that Israel is not a racist state, because it is. My relatives and myself have experienced it. Why accept us if we are going to be treated like this? Our outh are expeiencing problems they never faced in pre-indstrial Ethiopia. We are being discriminated in every aspect of life by or own brothers and sisters when we are supposed to be home.

Here is a link to some relatively recent events that may shed some light on this.

http://www.americancivilrightsreview...hiopians3.html

Are you Danny Gur-arieh or are you quoting him? do you have any direct information on this?

Posted by Worke:

So much for the 'promised land'. So much for the thousand of us who died trekking from Ethiopia to Sudan, living in terible unspeakable conditions during turbulent times in sub-saharan africa. So much for the faith and belief we had toward Israel and it's children. What do we get? Rejection, rejection and more rejection. Don't try and tell me that Israel is not a racist state, because it is. My relatives and myself have experienced it. Why accept us if we are going to be treated like this? Our outh are expeiencing problems they never faced in pre-indstrial Ethiopia. We are being discriminated in every aspect of life by or own brothers and sisters when we are supposed to be home.

Here is a link to some relatively recent events that may shed some light on this.

Listen, there are idiots in every society and Jews are not an exception.

Oh Jerusalem

Re: Black or Jewish?

Originally posted by Werke
    So much for the 'promised land'.
    Are you an Ethiopian?

How much time did you live in Israel, if ever?

When did you leave?

basedeal
    Hi all I am new here, and posting my initial 1st post on a current topic as part of the rules

I am living in the Usa and a citizen, is it possible for a U.S. citizen to apply for citizenship in Isreal and join the IDF?

How is the IDF concerning criminal history if it were at all possible in the first place.

I ask this because here in America military standards are pretty stiff, 1 felony may be possible for enlistment but only few exeptions depending on the saverity. And it doesnt get better as one ages' I am currently 24 years old.

I want the chance to serve in a military unit, it is something I wanted to do since I was little, I like Isreal, I also am Christian

I feel my only shot if it were at all possible is a Draft in the U.S. but it hardly gets brought up, because U.S. has the reputation of Draft Dodgers ever since the Veitnam war. I recently came accross some hope of a mention of possible Draft in the states but I kind of doubt it.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...t_040420163408

If anyone here is in the IDF or live in Isreal that can give me some information I would appreciate it. I went to a few Isreal sites but most lead me to dead links.

Thats it for now, I hope to get some responce

Oh Jerusalem
    I don't think you can apply to the IDF. Sorry.

I do not understand why you don't serve in the US. Who cares about draft dodgers?! If you're not one, serve proudly!

Ahava
    Basedeal: I believe you have to be(come) a Jew to be able to do that.
    But you can always try Holland!
    ...oh wait, we have no enemies.

Ophra
    Originally posted by Ahava
    Basedeal: I believe you have to be(come) a Jew to be able to do that.
    But you can always try Holland!
    ...oh wait, we have no enemies.
    No Ahava ... you do not have to be a Jew to serve in the IDF.

Oh Jerusalem
    Originally posted by Ophra
    This is true for non-Jewish Israeli residents and citizens.

What about non-Jewish non-residents?

There are service opportunities for non citizens: 'Mahal 2000' comes to mind. It is not a combat organization.

Ahava
    Originally posted by Ophra
    I was talking about non-Israelis. I believed you have to be Jew then?

Thread Information