Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Does the World Hate Israel?

humus_sapiens

Why Does the World Hate Israel?

by Herbert London

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/G...20040718.shtml

Israel is a tiny nation, roughly half the size of Lake Michigan. Its population is roughly half the size of the New York metropolitan area. Despite being a Jewish state, more than twenty percent of its residents are Arab and most Jews in Israel describe themselves as secular rather than religious.

Yet if one were to read world press accounts or daily condemnations from the United Nations or the recent decision of the ICJ criticizing the construction of the fence, you might conclude that Israel is a world power intent on destabilizing Middle East affairs.

Why, it might well be postulated, does the world resent this speck of land between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean?

Although my comments are speculative, I suspect they could be borne out empirically if historical accounts were fair and objective.

Israel is a thorn in the side of the Arab world because it is a remarkable technological phantasmagoria. Almost every Israeli is engaged in a software scheme. The Jews in this arid nation have made the deserts bloom; they have converted brain power into technical marvels and consequent wealth.

By contrast every nearby Arab nation is dysfunctional. Their governments are tyrannical; the people are poor and uneducated and local officials have been unwilling to convert oil revenue into social benefits.

Resentment is the natural result of this contrast. Afterall, Israel has all of the geographic disadvantages of its neighbors and it doesn't have any oil fields. Yet it prospers, while others falter.

Second, it should be hastily noted that Israel is a proxy for anti-American sentiment. The misguided belief that the U.S. is an imperial power eager to put its stamp on the Middle East is demonstrated by the aid and support given to Israel. Rarely, is it noted by U.S. detractors that American assistance to Egypt is equal to aid for Israel. Moreover, American involvement in Iraq was neither precipitated by Israel (Does the tail wag the dog?) nor has this engagement influenced Israel’s relations with her neighbors in any new directions.

Third, the Palestinian question has awakened emotions on the European left and in many Arab states. Yet remarkably the critique of Israel is generally quite banal. Arafat, as putative Palestinian leader, was granted 97 percent of the West Bank and some control over holy sites in the negotiation at Wye Plantation. Yet he turned down these generous Israeli terms.

In fact, there aren’t any terms that serve the ambitions of Arabs eager to destroy the state of Israel, unless, of course, national suicide is a reasonable negotiating point.

Fourth, the fence has the metaphorical power of the Berlin Wall. It is used for propaganda purposes to argue that Israel is intent on “taking Arab land” and isolating itself from Palestinians.

What should be noted is that the Berlin Wall was created to keep East Germans bound to the chains of communism, while the Israeli fence is designed to prevent suicide bombers from continuing wreaking bloodshed among Israelis.

Intifada II has resulted in at least a thousand dead Israeli citizens since 2000 and others maimed as well. It is encumbent on any leader of any nation to offer his people a modicum of security against those bent on bloodshed. If the fence reduces threats and increases security, Prime Minister Sharon should embrace it. His duty to protect his own people transcends any obligation imposed on him from multilateral organizations.

Fifth, the Palestinians have made their case to the international court of public opinion more effectively than the Israeli government. They have positioned themselves as underdogs against a mighty military force from tiny Israel. They have persuaded many of their supporters that the land Israel acquired after the ‘67 war is “occupied” rather than “disputed” territory. Hence, their sanguinic tactics are ignored by opinion markers normally opposed to terrorist activity.

Sixth, the Palestinians manage their news media. There isn’t an opposition voice in the Palestinian territory and if an unpredictable comment is made, it is often squelched with force. Reporters Without Borders has reported numerous occasions where journalists were beaten when they challenged Hamas or Hezbollah positions in print.

Israel, as an open and free society, entertains every point of view, including anti Israel arguments. As a consequence, criticism of Israel is widespread and criticism of Palestinian activity muted.

Seventh, the United Nations is now systematically organized to criticize the United States and Israel. It is instructive that in a statement emanating from the Secretariat’s office condemning the construction of the fence, not a word was mentioned about suicide bombers who precipitated the construction.

As I see there is very little that can be done at the moment to change international opinion. Israel has an obligation to its own people to remain resolute against usually unfair and hateful allegations. For the Middle East this is the Dark Ages. But if the Arab world wishes to enter the 21st century – a far from clear conclusion – it will have to adopt and perhaps emulate much of Israeli life. On that slim reed, hope shall continue to exist.
    I hope this doesn't invoke self-pity, only pride. -HS

Elin
    We turks always ask same question;Why does the World hate Turkey?

Olivier
    My experience here taught me (to my surprise actually) that a lot of people revendicating links with israel have a good deal of hatred for the world too : the arab world but any muslem as well, the rise of antisemitism in france (which is grossly inflated and not just out of ignorance) but any frenchman as well.. but it can strike turkey too..
    even when israel is plain wrong from the start, like in the NZ passport affair, you get answered with insults... and it's not just from this forum, it's israeli officials as well.

it's not just disagreement, it's hatred, scorn whatever.

So the answer to your 'why' question is "it's hatred in answer to the hatred". And the process now is escalation, it's self-reinforcing and getting worst everyday.

Now who started what is another debate

Gilgamesh
    Quote Originally Posted by Elin
    We turks always ask same question;Why does the World hate Turkey?
    No offence, but your people attempted to conqure the world few centuries ago. You almost did sucseded in "uniting Europe" under one Sultan... It left a mark in European culture. Centuries of wars... well...

As a Jew and Israeli, I have no cultural or historical issues to solve with the Turks. We fought in opposite sides in WWI, but have buiried this chapter. It's water unnder the bridge. We have no hatered for the Turks what so ever. I hope you'll accept it and believe it.

Semsem
    >>it's not just disagreement, it's hatred, scorn whatever.>>

Yes, like most human beings we Jews hate and detest countries like France that try to destroy Israel through the "backdoor" and through "diplomatic means."

Semsem
    For the Jews who lived in the Turkish Ottoman Empire we have only "respect" and "gratitude" towards Turkey.

KettleWhistle
    That article is nothing new, nor does it answer anything. The problem is simply a world-wide cultural shift to the left, legitimatization of "Palestinians," and Arab/Muslim influence on the UN, combined.

If you remember the recent history, until Israeli leftists gave legitimacy to the "Palestinians," Israel had a lot more international support. But once these terrorists and occupiers were legitimized, Israel became "the opressor," sadly not just in the eyes of the goim, but also among the leftist Jews. When I came to the U.S. 10 years ago, I was shocked to hear an American Jew say he understands "Palestinian" cause. Well, we reap what we saw, and Israel will be feeling what it's leftists sawed for quite some time.

Roland
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh
    No offence, but your people attempted to conqure the world few centuries ago. You almost did sucseded in "uniting Europe" under one Sultan... It left a mark in European culture. Centuries of wars... well...

As a Jew and Israeli, I have no cultural or historical issues to solve with the Turks. We fought in opposite sides in WWI, but have buiried this chapter. It's water unnder the bridge. We have no hatered for the Turks what so ever. I hope you'll accept it and believe it.
    Good comment, Gilgamesh. Thanks.

I think we have buried that chapter with turkey, too - at least under the weight of more recent issues.
    I went to Turkey a Year ago and I like it.
    Back to the topic: Why is this Israel-hating so wide-spread and like a built-in-preference? No idea. God's will? Like in this other thread "Was the Holocaust god's will?"
    I'll have to look up AMOS. I vaguely remember something like God told Amos, Israel will be put among other ppl to be sieved or sorted. I don't have an english version of this text - help appreciated!
    (hm. something for the religion-section?)

Gilgamesh
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    Good comment, Gilgamesh. Thanks.
    Back to the topic: Why is this Israel-hating so wide-spread and like a built-in-preference? No idea.
    Then I'll give you one: It is called anti- semetism. Judging jews in different standards, blameing jews for events out side our power or responsibility and believing in libels and false propaganda.

God's will? Like in this other thread "Was the Holocaust god's will?"
    I'll have to look up AMOS. I vaguely remember something like God told Amos, Israel will be put among other ppl to be sieved or sorted. I don't have an english version of this text - help appreciated!
    (hm. something for the religion-section?)
    Any attempt, by and Germam or other, to shift the blame for the holocaust to any destenation other then Germans, and to put the blame on anybody or anything but the Germans, is strongly condemed by me.

Although, as a Jew, I believe in G-d. All historical evens happened in the will and observence of G-d. The bible do profecies the exile and its horrors, which the holocaust was one. However, G-d allways left the choise between good and evil for all men. All nations, all leaders and all common men have a choise to do. The choise never left the world. And were a choise existed, and it always exists, so does blame.

Analogy:
    A thief finds an open (unlocked) door and enters a house which isn't his, robbs it, and committ a murder or two. To his defense the crimminal says: "G-d will! The door was left open for me! G-d will!" .

Its true the door was left open, the thief had a choise to use the door or not. The crimminal is fully responsible for his own actions.

As for Amos, I'll look the passage up, to satisfay my own cariosity.

Roland
    Then I'll give you one: It is called anti- semetism. Judging jews in different standards, blameing jews for events out side our power or responsibility and believing in libels and false propaganda.
    Yup. I already knew the name and who it is to blame.
    This is about WHY.
    Any attempt, by and Germam or other, to shift the blame for the holocaust to any destenation other then Germans, and to put the blame on anybody or anything but the Germans, is strongly condemed by me.
    We have had that, too. And we still agree.
    Although, as a Jew, I believe in G-d. All historical evens happened in the will and observence of G-d. The bible do profecies the exile and its horrors, which the holocaust was one.
    Thats why I ask if there is a related unfulfilled prophesy.
    Anti-semitism is not exclusively german. It's too international.
    Anti-semitism is not exclusively palestinian. Too much anti-semitism in pre-TV history.
    I still wonder how the palestinians dominate the PR-war, when everything else the arabs touch remains dysfunctional.

Gilgamesh
    Quote Originally Posted by Roland
    Thats why I ask if there is a related unfulfilled prophesy.
    There are planty of unfulfield prophesies, mostly about the end of days.

Anti-semitism is not exclusively german. It's too international.
    True, Anti Semetism is international, but the Germans evolved anti semetism into Eliminitionist Anti-Semetism. I strongly recomand you the Book: "Hitler's Willing Executioners", by Prof. Daniel Jonah Goldhagen. Also, I recomand you the book: "Der Letzte Berliner" by Yoram Kaniuk.

There is an analogy for that in the bible. There is another lost nation mentioned in the bible with similar charastaristics and ideology to that of Germany. The people of the Amalek. I suggest you look for that.

If you look at stories of the bible also as analogies, their may be also prophecies, or explainations by analogy of historical past and future events.
    The bible has many seacrets they don't tell you in Church... but we Jews are working to descipher them for the last 3,000 years.

Anti-semitism is not exclusively palestinian.
    True, all Arabs are extremly Anti semite. They look at the Nazis as guids and mentors. For example, this is the most popular book among Arabs, all time best seller in the Arab world, second only to the Kur'an.
    (See Thread in this forum).

[url=Too much anti-semitism in pre-TV history.]TV has nothing to do with Anti Semetism. TV is the absolute propaganda machine, and like any instrument, it is useful for all purposes, good and evil alike.

I still wonder how the palestinians dominate the PR-war, when everything else the arabs touch remains dysfunctional.
    The simplest way: Money. Arab give oil-money to academics, politicians and jurnalists to spread their propaganda. They find it easier to curropt Europe, because in Europe, there are stronger foundations for thier ideologis, while the Americans, are historicly fighting their racist and European impulses for centuries. The USA is the only country in the world starting a way over issues like Slavory.

michael
    Why does the world hate Israel??

Poor little Israel, with the worlds only military and economic superpower on it's side. Life's tough.

Another way of looking at it might be to wonder how a state involved in; 30 plus years of illegal military occupation; systemic discrimination against it's minorities, a preference for ethnic cleansing; an unmonitored nuclear program; defiance of numerous SC resolutions and a regualr violator of the Geneva conventions, manages to get away with it?

The consequences of all this for Israel has been little more than piles of paper.

Inpunity seems to sum up the stuation. Some people are never happy.

Semsem
    << but also among the leftist Jews. When I came to the U.S. 10 years ago, I was shocked to hear an American Jew say he understands "Palestinian" cause. Well, we reap what we saw, and Israel will be feeling what it's leftists sawed for quite some time.[/QUOTE]

You are correct. There are even in the USA leftist Jews like in France and the UK who are anti Israel. My mother was told by an educated American Jewish woman that she is American and has no interest in Israel whatsoever and that she does not agree with their policies (of self defense). It's even worse when a Jew says this than when a Goy says it. If it's an Arab at least I expect it. But some Goyim and Jews are even more anti Israel than some Arabs.

Semsem
    God's will? Like in this other thread "Was the Holocaust god's will?" I vaguely remember something like God told Amos, Israel will be put among other ppl to be sieved or sorted. >>

In the bible it says that the world will always be against the Jews. That we will be exiled from Israel and spread out within all the nations of the world but that we will return on "eagles wings." So the world / UN / Europe being against Israel is really the realisation of "biblical prophesy." We were told this by the Jewish prophets thousands of years ago.

All I can suggest michael is to strap on a nuclear candle and light one light for freedom.

Thread Information