Thread: U.S. Finds Arabs Hid Bombs in Church of the Nativity

U.S. Finds Arab-laid Bombs in Church of the Nativity

US experts find booby traps in Church of the Nativity
    BETHLEHEM, West Bank, May 10
    By AFP Published on The Age

US experts searching Bethlehem's Church of the Nativity today after the 38-day siege there "found booby traps" in the compound, an Israeli army spokesman said.

"Booby traps were found by the Americans in the compound. They took care of some of them," said the spokesman, Ron Edelheit.

Edelheit was unable to specify how many booby traps had been planted, or where they had been placed.

Following this discovery, the Greek Orthodox Patriarch, who has partial custody of the church, asked Israeli troops to search the buildings, he said.

About 20 soldiers then entered the church complex to check that there were no remaining explosives, he added.

An army spokeswoman said the searches had revealed about 40 explosive devices, primed for use, inside the church and five concealed rifles. Army sappers were now defusing the explosives, she said.

An early statement from the army said 90 weapons had been found in the Basilica complex, including Kalashnikov and M16 assault rifles and pistols.

A number of knives were also discovered.

http://www.theage.com.au/breaking/20...X7588Y01D.html

Gatorade
    Lets see if the U.N. or E.U. calls for a war crime investigation.
    After all, the Palestinian gun men did an armed take-over of a one of the most sacred religous sites in Christianity, and booby trapped it with with explosives.

I do have a question, when did US troops get involved in this? And who invited them to search the church? Maybe it is a good thing though since some people don't accept what the IDF says.

Moon
    Aah, my local newspaper is better every day! I wonder how did its jornalist in Bethlehem managed to miss that 40-explosives detail...

Anyway, it's not a surprise since my country, Portugal, accepted one or more terrorists who were holed up in the Nativity, so that "they can continue their studies" (???)

Sometimes I wonder what's the use of knowing Portuguese since most of what I hear and read is nonsense.

Originally posted by Moon
    Sometimes I wonder what's the use of knowing Portuguese since most of what I hear and read is nonsense.
    Actually, a good deal of what I read in English is also nonesense.

Originally posted by Gatorade
    I do have a question, when did US troops get involved in this? And who invited them to search the church?
    The US had troops in the area for a while, since the beginning of Operation Defensive Shield. It came to light when we saw photos of US special forces transporting some American citizens out of hotspots in the West Bank at the beginning of the operation. The official line was that they were "with the US embassy," even though they were photographed in Special Forces uniforms.

Most recently, US troops were dispatched to supervise the jailing of the Zeevi killers in Ramallah.

Gatorade
    I was wondering how the Palestinian leaders were going to accuse Israel of something at the Church of Nativity.
    Well, here they come – never mind the armed militants broke into the Church and held it hostage and left booby traps. It is the Israelis who desecrated the chruch.

http://www.theage.com.au/breaking/20...X3VGNXMZC.html

In a statement carried by the official WAFA agency, the Palestinian leadership said the Israeli army had "desecrated the church under the pretext of looking for three rifles".

The Palestinian leadership "considers the assault of the Church of the Nativity by military forces, the arrest of American, European and Canadian civilians who were arrested and their detention in a prison ... to be blatant Israeli aggressions", the statement said.

According to an Israeli police spokesman the activists were arrested immediately after they left the church.

=================.

Just imagine what Israel would be blamed for if one of the booby traps went off and destroyed part of the church

JustPat
    Originally posted by Gatorade
    I do have a question, when did US troops get involved in this? And who invited them to search the church? Maybe it is a good thing though since some people don't accept what the IDF says.
    Not troops. FBI. CIA, and US Marshalls.

JustPat
    Originally posted by NewsGuy
    The US had troops in the area for a while, since the beginning of Operation Defensive Shield. It came to light when we saw photos of US special forces transporting some American citizens out of hotspots in the West Bank at the beginning of the operation. The official line was that they were "with the US embassy," even though they were photographed in Special Forces uniforms.

Most recently, US troops were dispatched to supervise the jailing of the Zeevi killers in Ramallah.
    Photos alone won't tell the story. Both the FBI and CIA use the same uniform for their hostage rescue nad crisis intervention forces. The US Marshalls use them for the "SWAT" ops.

Originally posted by JustPat
    Photos alone won't tell the story. Both the FBI and CIA use the same uniform for their hostage rescue nad crisis intervention forces. The US Marshalls use them for the "SWAT" ops.
    That's a good point. Thanks.

Thread Information