Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of music do you listen to?

Silver Jews (Steve Malkmus)?
    Kat Power?
    Fresh Young Fellows?

goliath
    "El judio maravilloso" tricky that one .( Cuban salsa music ,Gran salcero y descarga ) the only one Jew "accepted as an equal on Cuban salsa in Cuba).by the others fellow musicians.
    Last edited by goliath; 01-12-2005 at 02:18 PM.

Zlatorog
    Quote Originally Posted by KettleWhistle
    Well, here's a hint to what I really really like:http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/wm2/muz...asx?obj=v40526
    Interesting. Zlatorog (goldhorn), lived in a fancy garden on the mountain. He was custodian of a hidden treasure. One day a greedy hunter came to steal the treasure, stalked Zlatorog and shot him cowardly. At the scene a lovely flower grew out of the soil and gave Zlatorog back his life. In vicious rage Zlatorog killed the hunter instantly. Afterwards he destroyed the secret garden and was never seen again.

The mountain area
    http://realsrv.rtvslo.si:81/cgi-perl...a_ti_piskas.rm

The funniest band here, unfortunately I don't have anything funnier http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/world/aw...m/terravid.ram

Jimmy Cliff, Yellow Man, Gladiators

goliath
    Well, here's a hint to what I really really like:http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/wm2/muz...asx?obj=v40526
    It's a very nice and good "mood" music , it can relax you ,in the traffic jam of L.A. it's a very good example of what can be done with electronics means and devices, one of these days ,a real musician will be unable to reach the electronics samples machines. this is progress.We have to accept it.
    Mediocrates quoted Less Paul ,who "create" the rerecording technic ,which make a success in that period,he did that with a female singer ,I can't remember it's name Mary something.
    And an other "phenomenon" a bit pushed by electronic was Imma Summac..a woman with a super extended voice ,something a bit supernatural. that be part of the past.

KettleWhistle
    Quote Originally Posted by goliath
    It's a very nice and good "mood" music , it can relax you ,in the traffic jam of L.A. it's a very good example of what can be done with electronics means and devices, one of these days ,a real musician will be unable to reach the electronics samples machines. this is progress.We have to accept it.
    Well, I'd say Dave Navarro's guitar skills make him a pretty real musician

And as a side note, the first one on the Album's "thanks" list is The Elohim.

goliath
    Well, I'd say Dave Navarro's guitar skills make him a pretty real musician
    And as a side note, the first one on the Album's "thanks" list is The Elohim.
    I didn't said ,I didn't liked that sound ,"paradise style" , it's an 100% electronic one, this guy could be a good instrumentalist player, Less Paul ,was also a good guitarist ,but a better businessman,that was not your period .
    I don't now who is , Dave Navarro ,I do now Angel Navarro a fabulous Cuban concertist , but I do remember one who did a great success in USA and all the world : Santana ,which is not a bad guitarist ,but I can't listen it ,unbearable to me ,a complete artificial sound ,and that make it's success near his public ,which I'm not part of.
    Santana was looking for money ,not for good music .
    At present if you want to register an create an orchestra in your living room ,you buy a good device call "electronic sampler" and you can create everything with a minimum of knowledge in harmony and music.
    Life is too short to appreciate everythings ,and it's perfect like that.
    If you're in US for about ten years (fall of Berlin wall was in 1989) so ,I've spent much more than that in your country ,but not in a row.

goliath
    Kettle.W.

I went and search on the net ,who is Dave Navarro ,and I understand the "why" , I'm not at all in heavy metal ,or psychedelic,stuff ,I think ok ,It's good for young people and also the oldest if they like that ,it's not my case, I play real Jazz (60's till70's) and Cuban music .
    I'm too old for the other type of music, Rock'n'roll was never appreciate by my ears...too ordinary.but it's only my opinion .
    Music it's an entire world ,and everybody can find his favourites.

You like Mongo Santamaria?

takeo
    The word is "black." Unless you want your behind kicked. And blacks have had much influence on the American music, including country.
    yeah whatever, what's wrong with negro? it's the literal translation of "black"...
    Anyway, of course black music had much influence on american music, Elvis was the first white to play black music (in the western world), which made him famous all over the world.

takeo
    The word "negro" was the one use by Takeo,maybe you've not read the reference quoted.So tell that remark to Takeo .
    Concerning me "blues" style or "Jazz" style have had no emergent influence in what we call "country music " which is mainly a reminiscence of Irish and scottish , let say origins ,but is not simple and it doesn't change anything ,and if you have the occasion to listen the Hymn ,which is :
    " Stand by your man " is more the definition of pure white life style.
    And if you consider "Mustang Sally " as country ,your country is a very large one ,but it's up to you, I dislike country music,too cheap.
    Concerning the word "black" ,I now the use from a time you was not born , but negro is not niger(which remaind the slavery ) ,so in certain definition "we" musicians ,we use it,only as a music specific word ,but maybe you're living in Alabama .
    I have spent many years in US ,and I never had my bottom kicked by someone ,and black were my fellow , in life and in music.
    Some people in Europe are uncapable to pronounce the word "Jew" they prefer Israelite,but in general they have a problem with us.
    I've heard there is also quite some German influence in country-music, while Cajun music has black and French origins.
    Deos anyone know if there was some jewish/eastern European influence on American music, or was it very limited? Jewish and Eastern European musicians had quite an influence on French music devellopment.

takeo
    In France it doesn't exist music mixed with Arab music ,but it exist a "market" for Arab style music ; and in the US,country music with negro seems a bit kind of paradoxical ,maybe your're thinking about Cheb Mami or Fodel etc it's rai music ,completely Arab ,but it's have some success in France and around ,it's crowded with young French with Arab origin .
    Afro-Cuban yes, caribbeans yes, new-Orleans , but the actual Jazz is no more in relation with African Music , is only a matter of studying strongly music rules, and to have a large immagination , a classic musician can't improvise he is completely uncapable to do that ,it's not in his aptitude.
    And the classical Arab music is another culture.
    Cheb Khaled and rai music completely arab (actually maghreb)? Not all his songs, there's some European influence as well I think, certainly not classical Arab music, and popular among "white" French as well.
    You are right about classical music, altough traditional folk music is all about improvisation, also in Europe.

takeo
    I don't play French music never,I play Cuban music ,and clasic ,and jazz of the.
    The funny thing is that old Cuban songs such as "los Vanvan" and played in "Buena vista social club" are not popular in Cuba except among old people and tourists. Salsa is of course still popular("soy un guajiro natural", Isaac Delgado, etc.) especially for dansing, but what's the hype now in Cuba is merengue of Dominican, reggae music of Jamaican (but there's also cuban reggae music a mix of reggae and salsa) and rap music of Puertorican origin (there are special trembla-competitions for girls with the fastest a$$-shaking, the words used in those songs are mostly very rude...), while also stars such as mexican marco antonio Solis, Ana Gabriel, Maricela, Peruvian Agua marina or Spanish and Italian popmusic (Alejandro Sanz, Laura Pausini, etc.) are extremely popular. There's also orishas, a French-Cuban group singing Cuban style rap and very popular in Europe and Cuba.

I would like to know what's "hot" nowadays among miami-Cubans.

KettleWhistle
    Kettle.W.

I went and search on the net ,who is Dave Navarro ,and I understand the "why" , I'm not at all in heavy metal ,or psychedelic,stuff ,I think ok ,It's good for young people and also the oldest if they like that ,it's not my case, I play real Jazz (60's till70's) and Cuban music .
    I'm too old for the other type of music, Rock'n'roll was never appreciate by my ears...too ordinary.but it's only my opinion .
    Music it's an entire world ,and everybody can find his favourites.
    Well, Dave Navarro is probably the best guitarist out there. Most likely in about 10 years people will think of him as they do of Carlos Santana now. I don't realy consider the work he has done with Jane's Addiction (that the name of a band) either heavy metal of psychedelic. It is more of an abstract art put into music. They mix various styles as well, and some of it has quite a bit of bass and drum that makes it sound like heavy metal. Interestingly enough they have some songs with jazzy elements too: http://mfile.akamai.com/3171/wm2/muz...asx?obj=v40526. But, of course, you're right--to each his own.

goliath
    QUOTE=takeo]I've heard there is also quite some German influence in country-music, while Cajun music has black and French origins
    Probably ,that's story of "country is not simple" but mainly : scottish ,Irish,and mexican , if you notice the instruments , banjo,guitar,violin,and bass with only one cord on a barrel,etc etc ,etc
    Cajun music it's French (normandy and Britanny) but it's very weak in harmony.
    Obviously even country got serious evolution ,and influence with the time as everything ,after that if you want to define every music with an "etiquette" it's a boring study, music start from the heart,and life it's too short to ear and now everythings,so..
    Deos anyone know if there was some jewish/eastern European influence on American music, or was it very limited? Jewish and Eastern European musicians had quite an influence on French music devellopment.
    They do so a lot ,but not in "Country style", in pop music , Jewish eastern has a very large influence in all pop music, check the composers , the greatest are all Jews.

Thread Information