Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Warning: Christian Missionaries in Israel

Toga

Warning: Christian Missionaries in Israel

As in the past, missionaries today spend substantial amounts of money establishing churches, hospitals, charities, feeding kitchens and workshops where Christian publications are given out for free or at low cost. These campaigns are well thought out, with Christian leaders relying on the ignorance of the Jews so as not to have their plans thwarted. In a successful campaign that helped those early new immigrants with food, money and social services, they succeeded in spreading their gospel. Their hidden agenda is today barely noticed, covered up in layers of what seems like intrinsic sacrifice on the behalf of Jews they just want to help.

Today, there is no longer a small campaign by a single group of missionaries to convert Jews in Israel, but a strategic and well-crafted plan, funded by billions of dollars, to make it happen. This is no exaggeration; literally billions are being spent to convert Jews across the world and specifically in Israel. There is a book written by a notorious Christian preacher and missionary in which he describes how he and his wife made aliyah several years ago. In his Messianic Jewish Manifesto, the author calls for Christians to go ahead with the attempt at aliyah. This man is a member of the Lausanne Consultation on Jewish Evangelism, the world's most aggressive Christian missionary support and management group, an organization founded by none other than Reverend Billy Graham. A highly secretive organization, based in Denmark with a wide global network, its membership includes every major Protestant and Messianic missionary group in the world. In Israel alone, its membership totals at least six agencies, six congregations and 29 individuals.

The "Thailand Report on Jewish People", developed at a meeting of the Lausanne Consultation on Jewish Evangelism, made mention of the fact that Christians need to increase their activity against the Jews, going as far as identifying Jewish targets as Ashkenazi and Sephardic. They have already converted thousands of Jews in schools and universities throughout Israel. They say that more thought should be given to the nature of the training necessary for reaching the different segments of the community: "We observe that some training is more geared to reaching Orthodox Jews, whereas secular Jews form a great majority in most communities."

American Evangelists Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell have both been involved in Christian proselytizing by radio. Robertson started broadcasting from across the Lebanese border in 1979. At one time, he wanted to put up an antenna in Samaria, which had the capability of beaming radio signals to Jerusalem, but he was challenged by local residents. Today, because of the liberalism inherent in the Israeli government, Christian evangelicals have been issued licenses to operate radio stations based out of Jerusalem. These stations have been given the right to continue their work of converting the Jews to Christianity, while Jewish radio stations that teach Torah continue to be banned or face difficulty obtaining permits.

There is not only a radio campaign, but a television one as well. It was in 1979 that Robertson's organization began broadcasting Christian programming 28 hours a week in Israel. In 1982, Hope TV station in Lebanon was donated to Pat Robertson's Christian Broadcasting Network and became Middle East Television. In 1997, Middle East Television began Christian evangelism on the AMOS-1 communication satellite over the Middle East to a potential audience of 200 million people in 15 nations, including Israel. They broadcast their idolatry over Israel's channel 24, where you can watch The Harvest Show - and it is not a vegetable they seek to harvest, it's Jews. They broadcast in Hebrew, while shows in English have Hebrew subtitles. They show programs such as the Beverly Hillbillies, Head of the Class, and The Andy Griffith Show mixed in among Pat Robertson's 700 Club, This Is Your Day, Evangelist Joyce Meyer, Dr. Lester Sumrall, Another Day of Victory and Harvest. The Jews in Israel are virtually bombarded by television shows that teach them they are incomplete unless they accept the Christian way of life and belief.

Christian evangelical groups in Israel run something called the Joseph Project. It is an organization designed to look like a humanitarian organization, but is actually a missionary based group that targets new, Russian-speaking immigrants. The Joseph Project is a division of the Messianic Jewish Alliance of America. This organization is endorsed by mainstream Christian organizations, including the Christian Coalition of America, Christian Broadcasting Network, Promise Keepers and Pat Boone, entertainer and Christian evangelist. This group was founded in February of 1996 on the principles that:

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/article.php3?id=5576

Luke90
    Toga, if I recall correctly you're not a practising Jew. Given that, I find it hard to understand why you get so upset about Christian missionaries.
    I was brought up a christian but I don't believe in it anymore and I really don't care if anyone wants to convert christians to their faith.
    This isn't a criticism, I'm just curious as to why it bothers you so much.

Ariksan
    Luke, By your standard of practising Jew most Christians are not practising Christians either - still they are members of their Church, get a Christian burial and may share some ideas or have at least part of their identity and culture defined by their religion - even if they not follow every single rule. So why should we 'not_so_religious' Jews not care about missionary criminals? Of course we care about it.

minusthejihad
    The problem is Christians solicit and Jews dont. Much of this is done quietly and quite dishonestly (ie: Wings of Angels/Eagles charity that you see on infomercials on TV at night). And there are quite a number of Jews ignorant and gullible enough to be brainwashed into incorporating a middle-man to g-d into their life. While this is happening, Judaism isn't gaining as many members through volunteered "official" conversions as they are loosing to "humanism/secularism, conversions, intermarriage, and "non-official" conversions". So on top of the natural run-off of non-religious Jews who loose their identity, Jews are bombarded with missionaries. It's like taking money from the blind.

Toga
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke90
    Toga, if I recall correctly you're not a practising Jew. Given that, I find it hard to understand why you get so upset about Christian missionaries.
    I was brought up a christian but I don't believe in it anymore and I really don't care if anyone wants to convert christians to their faith.
    This isn't a criticism, I'm just curious as to why it bothers you so much.
    One has to understand the nature of Judaism and Jewishness. A Jew does not have to be religious to puke at the sight of the missionaries. We have a long history with the European Christianity, which, by the way, must be differentiated from the American Christian movement. Don't forget the majority of Jews were exterminated in Europe. The Christian sales efforts vis-a-vis the Jews have continued for the last 2000 years. Most Jews are not buying that stuff and yet the sales efforts continue. We have our own faith that is applicable to us. Why do we need to buy the foreign beliefs when we have our own? The Jews do not go around the world trying to missionize the non-Jews. We greatly respect all other beliefs and would appreciate if our faith is treated in the same fashion. You would think that after 2000 years the salesmen who target the Jews would finally get the message but, unfortunately, they have not.

I don't know where you live but down here in the Bible Belt about half of the cable channels are evangelical. Most of them are locals and preachers who are trolling for dollars and there's the usual assortment of nutcases, holyrollers and lost tribes. The rest are the big names like Hinn, Robertson, Josephine the Plumber, etc...

BTW the Witnesses came to my house this week. I asked them "Will it save any of us time to just tell you I'm Jewish?" They said no not really, but I snatched up their Watchtowers and told them to have a nice day all the same. And once in a while the two men on bicycles come by, pleasant enough fellows but I've made it clear they're wasting their time. Doesn't seem to bother them. Odd. (some of you probably know what I'm talking about.....)

Anyway it's hard to pin down who all these channels are aimed at. Maybe just people who already know about them and send them faith offerings. Maybe it's just backfill for people who can't make it church. Maybe just lonely insomniacs. Ab Buster. Click. Kevin Trudeau. Click. The Zion Cathedral Hour of prayerful faith healing. Bingo. I have no idea. Now there's one guy who wears a Tallis and kippah and looks like an Rab but quotes mostly from the Apostles and Prophets. I can't make up my mind what he's after.

But I only know one so called messianic Jew aka born-again. I can't say that I've seen all this conversion effort as all too successful. In fact I know far more young people who experiment with Shomer Shabbos than those who go the other way. Usually it doesn't stick but its enough to give them a foundation for when they're older and on their own.

I tend to think that the apostolics are cherry picking young people who aren't that attached in the first place and would have strayed at this point in their life, Baptists or no. They may eventually return to us, we hope they do. We wish them well if they don't.

Luke90
    Thanks for your responses. When Toga said he wasn't a practising Jew I hadn't realised how close a connection with Judaism that could still entail.
    I'm familiar with JWs. The irritating thing is that I'd love to have a good argument with them but they've only come to my door once and never came back. Yet everyone else can't get rid of them.

One time they came to my house when I had a Hazmat suit on. They asked If I was busy. God bless the innocent.

Toga
    You are have to understand the Jewish culture. The Jews have very little respect for authority if any. The Romans took over many lands but the greatest challenge for them were the Jews. Jews do not like be controlled and they definitely don't want to control other people. Sharon even addressed that point during his speech at the UN. Take a look at the number of the political streams in Israel. It does not exist anywhere but Israel especially when one factors in the tiny Jewish population.

I don't want to insult anyone's beliefs but the whole idea of a Jew that the Jews have to respect and love as the son of G-d is contrary to the Jewish nature. Also, why would a Jew buy into the other people's faith when not only the Jews have their own beliefs but also the very people who try to turn them away from Judaism latched themselves on to the Jewish faith? Apparently, they saw something good in Judaism if they attached themselves to it.

Justcurious
    I had Mormons visiting me in the 70s. I invited them in, because I wanted to learn American English. However poor their Finnish was, they insisted on speaking Finnish. After one or two visits they gave up, since I refused to communicate with them in my mother tongue.

Maybe they also considred me a hopeless case religionwise.

minusthejihad
    When JWs or Born Agains come visit, i usually drench my hands in Ketchup and come to door and say, "I'm preforming an abortion, can you come back in 15 minutes, I want to talk about where I'm staying in Heaven?"

SteveK
    I maintain dialog with devout Christian Zionists at www.thewaytozion.com.
    I accept that they have faith in the same God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

But, Jews do need to remind Christians (old translation using 'thou' and 'thee'):

Deuteronomy 4:10 - 4:20

... the day that thou stoodest before the Lord thy God in Horev, when the Lord said to me, Gather me the people together, and I will make them hear my words, that they may learn to fear me all the days that they shall live upon the earth, and that they may teach their children. And you came near and stood under the mountain; and the mountain burned with fire to the heart of heaven, with darkness , clouds, and thick darkness. And the Lord spoke to you out of the midst of the fire: you heard the voice of words, but saw no form; only a voice. ... Take therefore good heed to yourselves; for you saw no manner of form on the day that the Lord spoke to you in Horev out of the midst of the fire: lest you become corrupt, and make a carved idol, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female, the likeness of any beast that is on the earth, the likeness of any winged bird that flies in the air, the likeness of any thing that creeps on the ground, the likeness of any fish that is in the waters beneath the earth; and lest thou lift up thy eyes to heaven, and when thou seest the sun, and the moon, and the stars, all the host of heaven, thou shouldst be misled to worship them, and serve them, which the Lord the God has allotted to all the nations under the whole heaven. But the Lord has taken you, and brought you out of the iron furnace, out of Mitzrayim, to be to him a people of inheritance, as you are this day.

Deuteronomy 13:2 - 13:5

If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams and he give thee a sign or a wonder, and the sign or the wonder come to pass, of which he spoke to thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou has not known, and let us serve them; thou shalt not hearken to the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the Lord your God puts you to the proof, to know whether you love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul..."

Toga
    It is hard to understand how the Europeans who claimed to be born in the name of a Jew, lived and died in the name of a Jew could be so vicious and hateful of the living Jews.

All Hail Satan: It's not just a great idea, it's the law.

Mercury
    Quote Originally Posted by Toga
    The Romans took over many lands but the greatest challenge for them were the Jews.
    I'm curious on what historical evidence you base this claim.

Thread Information