Thread: A Question.

Kautilya

A Question.

I hope no one will laugh at me. I have a question for you guys. A few years ago I heard that there is a Jewish prayer which is incanted on a person's death and it instantly brings tears to the eyes of the listener. It doesn't matter whether you understands the words or not. Is this true? What can you guys tell me about it?

Ariksan
    Quote Originally Posted by Kautilya
    I hope no one will laugh at me. I have a question for you guys. A few years ago I heard that there is a Jewish prayer which is incanted on a person's death and it instantly brings tears to the eyes of the listener. It doesn't matter whether you understands the words or not. Is this true? What can you guys tell me about it?
    This would refer to the kadish. It is usally recited by the son or a relative of the dead. It is indeed very touching.

It usually brings tears to my eyes - but I would say that there is more than just the prayer - it is the ambiance of the funeral with the relative reciting the prayer and the memories it revokes.

http://www.ou.org/yerushalayim/kadish.htm

Kautilya
    Thank you for the Information. I have wanted to know this for a long time. Are you saying that the vibrations of the prayer causes the impact alongwith the sorrow?

Aviva
    Thank you for the Information. I have wanted to know this for a long time. Are you saying that the vibrations of the prayer causes the impact alongwith the sorrow?
    The Mourners' Kaddish has no mention of sorrow in it at all. It praises G-d and praises life and makes no mention of death or loss.

When a close relative dies, Kaddish is said for them at their funeral and then every day for 11 months. Then it's said once a year on the anniversary of their death (called their 'yahrzheit'). The Mourner's Kaddish is also part of every day prayer services in synagogues where it's recited for those people who have died but have no one to say Kaddish for them.

The prayer isn't actually written in Hebrew - it's Aramaic and is quite hard to learn in comparison to other liturgy because the language is rather tongue-twisty.

SteveK
    Kautilya:

Have you ever lost a close family member? At the funeral, would reciting the the child's nursery rhyme "Humptey Dumptey" also cause vibrations impacting you, along with your sorrow, to at least bring tears to your eyes?

Those who are attending the funeral would probably be other family members and close friends who would share in your grief, and with similar reactions.

And, those who are past the mourning stage for their loved ones, may still react with tears brought to their eyes when hearing others recite the Jewish prayer for the dead.

And, some people may even react as such given a common human trait very well expressed in this famous line: "Never send to know for whom the bell tolls;--- it tolls for thee." .

Thread Information