Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The clear similarities between Zoroastrianism and Judaism

Uriel

The clear similarities between Zoroastrianism and Judaism

For those who know, Zoroastrianism was the original and ancient religion of Iran, and it does not only resembles judaism a lot, but it is said that the two religions ifluenced one another. I'd like to c your views about this subject in this thread, and then i'll also come with some facts. Personally, i'm a jew, and the religion i like most besides my own is Zoroastrianism, and in terms of religion, I'd call Zoroastrianism the brother of Judaism.

Mira
    It's possible that we got from them the concepts of life after death and Moshiach (as in Melech Hamashiach rather than simply "annointed."

Uriel
    Well, i don't think we've got the TERM meshiach...i mean in both cultures the gods (yhwh and ahuramazda...and to be honest i think it's the same one who showed himself to 2 nations) revealed this concept to the people, but here is an excerpt from a site:

Resemblances Between Zoroastrianism and Judaism.

The points of resemblance between Zoroastrianism and Judaism, are many and striking. Ahuramazda, the supreme lord of Iran, omniscient, omnipresent, and eternal, endowed with creative power, which he exercises especially through the medium of his Spenta Mainyu ("Holy Spirit"), and governing the universe through the instrumentality of angels and archangels, presents the nearest parallel to Yhwh that is found in antiquity. But Ormuzd's power is hampered by his adversary, Ahriman, whose dominion, however, like Satan's, shall be destroyed at the end of the world. Zoroastrianism and Judaism present a number of resemblances to each other in their general systems of angelology and demonology, points of similarity which have been especially emphasized by the Jewish rabbinical scholars Schorr and Kohut and the Christian theologian Stave.

There are striking parallels between the two faiths and Christianity in their eschatological teachings�the doctrines of a regenerate world, a perfect kingdom, the coming of a Messiah, the resurrection of the dead, and the life everlasting. Both Zoroastrianism and Judaism are revealed religions: in the one Ahuramazda imparts his revelation and pronounces his commandments to Zarathustra on "the Mountain of the Two Holy Communing Ones"; in the other Yhwh holds a similar communion with Moses on Sinai. The Magian laws of purification, moreover, more particularly those practised to remove pollution incurred through contact with dead or unclean matter, are given in the Avestan Vendďdad quite as elaborately as in the Levitical code, with which the Zoroastrian book has been compared..

The two religions agree in certain respects with regard to their cosmological ideas. The six days of Creation in Genesis find a parallel in the six periods of Creation described in the Zoroastrian scriptures. Mankind, according to each religion, is descended from a single couple, and Mashya (man) and Mashyana are the Iranian Adam (man) and Eve. In the Bible a deluge destroys all people except a single righteous individual and his family; in the Avesta a winter depopulates the earth except in the Vara ("enclosure") of the blessed Yima. In each case the earth is peopled anew with the best two of every kind, and is afterward divided into three realms. The three sons of Yima's successor Thraetaona, named Erij (Avesta, "Airya"), Selm (Avesta, "Sairima"), and Tur (Avesta, "Tura"), are the inheritors in the Persian account; Shem, Ham, and Japheth, in the Semiticstory. Likenesses in minor matters, in certain details of ceremony and ritual, ideas of uncleanness, and the like, are to be noted, as well as parallels between Zoroaster and Moses as sacred lawgivers; and many of these resemblances are treated in the works referred to at the end of this article.

Mira
    Well, i don't think we've got the TERM meshiach...
    Of course not, thus the distinction I made between an annointed leader and the King Messiah, our redeemer.

I find this to be particularly interesting:

The two religions agree in certain respects with regard to their cosmological ideas. The six days of Creation in Genesis find a parallel in the six periods of Creation described in the Zoroastrian scriptures. Mankind, according to each religion, is descended from a single couple, and Mashya (man) and Mashyana are the Iranian Adam (man) and Eve.
    In Jewish mysticism, the six days of Genesis (the time prior to Adam) includes all the ages (or periods) of the world, and this understanding can also be explained within the context of astronomy. I would be interested to know what signifcance Zoroastrians give to all of humanity being descended from a single pair of human beings, since for Judaism and Islam there are identical moral implications with the message.

Mira
    We do have a Zoroastrian who visits the board, btw.

Uriel
    Well i'd be glad if he'd update our knoledge :P
    Ps: we shan't imply islam and christianity in this thread as we are speaking about "mother" religions, by that i mean that islam and christianity are somehow derived from judaism, and at least the ideology is taken from the judaic one.
    I have nthng against christians and muslims, no way.
    i'll quote myself :P :
    "I only hate those that want to kill or harm me...It's just a coincidence that most of them are muslims"

Ariksan
    Just for the record - in Jewish mysticism Adam and Eve are not the first physical humans but the first human nefashot to take possesion of the vessel which is the physical human body.

Uriel
    Certain small errors do appear, sry. But u must agree that the similarities are strikingly powerful and it's only common sense to say that there MUST be a connection somewhere in the past, if not, even a relation between yhwh and ahuramazda....

Uriel

with no significant relation to this thread...

MOSES Mira! u've got 1153 posts....i'm quite new on this thread but i don't believe i've seen someone with that many posts (though i'm sure there are) -end-
    BACK to the THREAD....someone? anything about it? Maybe a zoroastrian?

Mira
    Quote Originally Posted by Uriel
    Certain small errors do appear, sry. But u must agree that the similarities are strikingly powerful and it's only common sense to say that there MUST be a connection somewhere in the past, if not, even a relation between yhwh and ahuramazda....
    Yes, that connection was made during the first exile.

Mira
    MOSES Mira! u've got 1153 posts....i'm quite new on this thread but i don't believe i've seen someone with that many posts (though i'm sure there are) -end-
    BACK to the THREAD....someone? anything about it? Maybe a zoroastrian?
    I've been here for a long time, Uriel.

Uriel
    no no no, i wasn't talking about human relations. i'm talking about religious relation. Metafizical, yhwh and ahuramazda, i won't dare claim that, although at some degree judaism influenced zoroastrianism and the other way arround, JEWS gave the persees the notion of "GOD"...the "root" elohim and the "root" ahuramazda have different starting points for the jews and the iranians, what i'm trying to say is that it's a posibility that this "root" (i repead, something metaphizical, the gods, non-human, whatever u want to call it) is related to one another

Mira
    no no no, i wasn't talking about human relations. i'm talking about religious relation. Metafizical, yhwh and ahuramazda, i won't dare claim that, although at some degree judaism influenced zoroastrianism and the other way arround, JEWS gave the persees the notion of "GOD"...the "root" elohim and the "root" ahuramazda have different starting points for the jews and the iranians, what i'm trying to say is that it's a posibility that this "root" (i repead, something metaphizical, the gods, non-human, whatever u want to call it) is related to one another
    Well...if you want to put this in spiritual rather than historical terms, then yes, perhaps G-d reveals Himself to different nations at different times and each nation conducts their own experiment based on what is revealed to them. But human relations is a part of that revelation too, is it not?

Uriel
    of course it is, but that was the known fact, historical fact. What we are debating is something that is not known, a possible "spiritual" connection if this is how u want to call it. And i've selectet a parallel between these 2 religions not at random, cos i could've done it with other religions, like hindu, but judaism and zoroastrianism are far more connected in ideology, and it's a far better chance that it's the same elohim with the iranian one rather than other ELs arround the world. As far as i'm concerned, and i don't know TOO much about zoroastrianism, the BIG difference except of some spiritual ceremonies, who depend on the human character and can vary from a nation to another although it is dedicated to the same purpose, are the names, and that is a NORMAL difference having in view that we speak different languages and ALSO that g_d might (i mean obviously) "knows" all languages and he spoke to us in hebrew and to the iranians in iranian (i know it sound strange talking about g_d like that, but we should think freely, and it's about time to put a little of a realistic note to religion)

Ariksan
    If you disregard the hystorical component and focus only on the religious aspect one could argue that there is an even earlier connection which is Noach. Some of his descendents kept following the laws from the time of Noach - others did not. Obviously the Zoroastrians did follow them. Interestingly Hinduism - another ancient religion (which - not that I agree - can be interpreted as a monotheistic religion with some spin) also shows some similarities with Judasim and Zoroastriansim especially in the mystical realm (-> Gilgul neshamot for example). Another interesting religion for comparsion with Judaism is the Druze faith which is the odd one out though since it isn't ancient but quite new.

Thread Information